Summary: The Call of Wisdom
Proverbs 1:20-33 The Call of Wisdom
1 The Invitation of Wisdom 20 Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets:
a) It Is A Priviliged Invitation 20 Wisdom crieth without
1. The Person Who is Speaking 20 Wisdom Personified as Christ Himself
2. The Place of His Speaking 20 crieth without
Paul before Agrippa - Acts 26:26 For the king knoweth of these things, before whom also I speak freely: for I am persuaded that none of these things are hidden from him; for this thing was not done in a corner.
3. The Purpose of His Speaking 23 Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you.
b) It Is A Precious Invitation 20 Wisdom crieth without
A Divine Call, A Direct Call, A Distinct Call, A Demanding Call, A Decisive Call.
c) It Is A Pressing Invitation - 20 Wisdom crieth without - "cries aloud/out"
d) It Is A Patient Invitation 22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?
(1) To The Careless - "ye simple ones"
(2) To The Cynical - "scorners" - delight in their scorning
(3) To The Callous - "fool" - fools hate knowledge?
2. The Indoctrination of Wisdom - 23 Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you. Wisdom Demands:-
a) The Repentance of The Sinner - Turn you at my reproof:
b) The Revelation of The Spirit - I will pour out my spirit unto you
c) The Reliability of The Scripture - I will make known my words unto you.
3. The Indignation of Wisdom - 24-32
a) They Declined The Call - 24 Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded;
b) They Disdained The Counsel - 25 But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:
1. The Call to Salvation was Refused 24 Because I have called, and ye refused
2. The Hand of Mercy was Rebuffed 24 I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded;
3. The Counsel of Wisdom was Repelled 25 But ye have set at nought all my counsel
4. The Reproof of Scripture was Rejected 25 and would none of my reproof:
c) They Deserved The Calamity - 26-32
(1) The Derision - 26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;
(2) The Destruction - 27 When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.
(3) The Desperation - 28 Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me:
(4) The Description -
1. The Uncharacteristic God "I will laugh"
2. The Unforseen Tragedy "fear, destruction"
3. The Unanswered Request "I will not hear"
4. The Unforgiven Sins 29 For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD: 30 They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof.
4. The Intention of Wisdom - 33 But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely,
and shall be quiet from fear of evil. - 1. Salvation 2. Safety 3. Security