Summary: Today we will discuss how to guard against unfruitful busyness.
38. Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house.
39. And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word.
40. But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.
41. And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
42. But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.
• Busyness is a thief
• Some people are just busy being busy. We need to live a God designed life filled with purpose.
• Martha was “cumbered about with many things.” Jesus decried this lifestyle…
• Today we will take a look at how to guard against unfruitful busyness.
I. Recognize that your life is out of control. - Life is running you, The tail is wagging the dog! - Honesty
A. It’s not hard to be honest with others but sometimes being honest with ourselves can be a big challenge.
B. God did not create us to do life alone. We need each other.
Ephesians 4:15-16 Rather, let our lives lovingly express truth [in all things, speaking truly, dealing truly, living truly]. Enfolded in love, let us grow up in every way and in all things into Him Who is the Head, [even] Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One). 16 For because of Him the whole body (the church, in all its various parts), closely joined and firmly knit together by the joints and ligaments with which it is supplied, when each part [with power adapted to its need] is working properly [in all its functions], grows to full maturity, building itself up in love.
1. Fitly joined together…
2. Supplying every joint…
3. Being who God made us to be and not lusting or coveting after another position is a sign of Spiritual Maturity.
a) The results of spiritual maturity is fruit-bearing.
b) Grown-Ups produce offspring…
II. Pray for the wisdom to prioritize.
A. God is a God of Structure.
1. First Things First
a) Genesis 1:28 - Be Fruitful, Multiply, Replenish the Earth, Subdue and Have Dominion…
b) This was God’s 1st conversation with man
c) Noteworthy: It was a conversation to set things up for success
2. Sequence Supports Structure - Each command from God builds on previous commands.
a) Ask for God’s help in organizing your life
b) Give yourself to instruction
Proverbs 9:9 Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.
Speaking of Wisdom… Proverbs 8:33-35 AMP Hear instruction and be wise, and do not refuse or neglect it. 34 Blessed (happy, fortunate, to be envied) is the man who listens to me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors. 35 For whoever finds me [Wisdom] finds life and draws forth and obtains favor from the Lord.
III. Follow-Through. - Be Faithful
Luke 9:62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.
Luke 9:62 MSG Jesus said, "No procrastination. No backward looks. You can't put God's kingdom off till tomorrow. Seize the day."
A. Follow Through - Work Your Plan!
1. It does no good to prioritize and structure if we fail to work the plan.
2. The only plans that are effective are the plans that are worked!
B. Rest - You haven’t adequately planned until you have built in Rest.
1. The power of the Sabbath… (Even God rested)
2. A word of caution…
a) You can get too much rest! (God’s Word says work six days and rest one, not two or three every week…)
Proverbs 10:4-5 He becometh poor that dealeth with a slack hand: but the hand of the diligent maketh rich. 5 He that gathereth in summer is a wise son: but he that sleepeth in harvest is a son that causeth shame.
Proverbs 12:24 The hand of the diligent shall bear rule: but the slothful shall be under tribute.
Proverbs 6:10-11 Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep: 11 So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth, and thy want as an armed man.
Closing Challenge: Let’s examine our lives
• Be honest with yourself! - Is God prioritized where He needs to be in your life?
• What are you going to do about it?
• Is it time to re-prioritize?
• Making Jesus the LORD of your life involves surrender… even when we don’t understand.
• If we had all the answers what would be the purpose of faith?