Summary: "The Characteristics of The Son"
"The Characteristics of The Son" - Psalm 72 -
I. The Righteousness He Shows - 72:1-4
A. An Appeal For Righteousness - 72:1,2
1. The Source Of Righteousness - 1 " Give the king thy judgments, O God"
2. The Subject Of Righteousness "And thy righteousness unto the king's Son"
3. The Standard For Righteousness - :2 He shall judge thy people with righteousness, and thy poor with judgment. B. An Appeal For Repose - 72:3 The mountains shall bring peace to the people, and the little hills, by righteousness. C. An Appeal For Recompense - 72:4 He shall judge the poor of the people, he shall save the children of the needy, and shall break in pieces the oppressor. 1. The Son Will Bring Justice To The Poor - 72:4a He shall judge the poor of the people, he shall save the children of the needy,
2. The Son Will Bring Judgement To The Persecutors - 72:4b "And shall break in pieces the oppressor"
II. The Riches He Shares - 72:5-7
A. The Period of His Riches - 72:5 They shall fear thee as long as the sun and moon endure, throughout all generations. B. The Prosperity of His Riches - 72:6 He shall come down like rain upon the mown grass: as showers that water the earth. C. The Plenty of His Riches 7 In his days shall the righteous flourish; and abundance of peace so long as the moon endureth. 1. The Bloom of These Riches - :7a "In His days shall the righteous flourish"
2. The Bounty of These Riches - 72:7b "and abundance of peace"
3. The Breadth of These Riches - 72:7c "so long as the moon endureth "
III. The Rule He Secures - 72:8-11
A. The Sphere of His Dominion - 72:8 He shall have dominion also from sea to sea, and from the river unto the ends of the earth. B. The Submission To His Dominion - 72:9 They that dwell in the wilderness shall bow before him; and his enemies shall lick the dust. C. The Sacrifice To His Dominion - 72:10 The kings of Tarshish and of the isles shall bring presents: the kings of Sheba and Seba shall offer gifts. D. The Service In His Dominion - 72:11 Yea, all kings shall fall down before him: all nations shall serve him.
IV. The Redemption He Supplies - 72:12-15
A. The Help He Declares - :12 For he shall deliver the needy when he crieth; the poor also, and him that hath no helper. B. The Hope He Delivers - :13 He shall spare the poor and needy, and shall save the souls of the needy. 1. He Spares The Poor - :13a "He will spare the poor and needy"
2. He Saves The People - :13b "And shall save the souls of the needy" C. The Haven He Devises - :14 He shall redeem their soul from deceit and violence: and precious shall their blood be in his sight. 1. Our Safety Is Not Forgotten - :14a "He shall redeem their soul from deceit and violence"
2. Our Sacrifice Is Not Forgotten - :14b "And precious shall be their blood in His sight" 3. Our Salvation Is Not Forgotten He shall redeem their soul D. The Honour He Deserves - :15 And he shall live, and to him shall be given of the gold of Sheba: prayer also shall be made for him continually; and daily shall he be praised. 1. The Permanence of The Son - :15a "And He shall live"
2. The Preciousness of The Son - :15 "to him shall be given of the gold of Sheba"
3. The Prayers For The Son - :15c "Prayer also shall be made for Him continually"
4. The Praise To The Son - :15d "and daily shall He be praised"
V. The Resources He Sows - 72:16 There shall be an handful of corn in the earth upon the top of the mountains; the fruit thereof shall shake like Lebanon: and they of the city shall flourish like grass of the earth. A. Grain On The Mountains - 72:16a
B. Grass In The City - 72:16b
VI. The Reputation He Sustains - 72:17-20
A. His Name Is Enduring Forever - 72:17,18
1. The Blessings In His Name - 72:17 His name shall endure for ever: his name shall be continued as long as the sun: and men shall be blessed in him: all nations shall call him blessed. 2. The Blessings Of His Name - 72:18 Blessed be the LORD God, the God of Israel, who only doeth wondrous things.
B. His Name Is Exalted Forever - 72:19,20
1. The Scope of His Glorification - 72:19a And blessed be his glorious name for ever: and let the whole earth be filled with his glory;
2. The Salute of His Glorification - 72:19b,20 Amen, and Amen. The prayers of David the son of Jesse are ended.