Summary: Personal Freedom brings a serious responsibility to make the right decisions in life.
A. The Power to Choose is a wonderful privilege and freedom
1. From the Garden of Eden to the Plains of
Moab, to the Cross of Calvary, choice
has always been God’s way.
2. He did not create us to be mindless
robots/machines under His complete control.
B. His nature is not that of a dictator or policeman
1. Grabbing us by the scruff of the neck,
forcing us to do His will
2. He could if He wished, but that is not His
nature to do so.
3. His way is to stand at the door and knock,
patiently and persistently - Rev.3:20-21
4. Pleading with us to make the right choice.
C. This is the God that Moses presents to the New Generation on the Plains of Moab.
1. Deut.28:1-14 the blessings that God would
bring to their lives if they obeyed
2. Deut.28:15-68 - the curses that would come
upon the nation when they would turn from
worshipping Him to idols.
3. We make our decisions, and then our
decisions make us.
4. We win or lose by what we choose. Choose
wisely and well.
I. SATAN OR THE SAVIOR?
A. We must choose who our real Master is going to be.
1. God of Heaven or god of this world II Cor.4:4
2. Prince of Peace or Prince of the power of the
3. One or the other but not both - Matt.6:24; 12:30
B. The Choice we make will affect our eternal destiny.
1. It will also affect our lifestyle and behavior
2. Being a Christian is a sacred privilege and
solemn responsibility to live right.
3. Too many Christians want to call Jesus Savior,
but not allow Him to be Lord.
4. The Christian life is a life of service and
submission to Him who died for us.
II. WORDS OF MEN OR GOD?
A. We must choose what we will listen to - men or God
1. Many today like the old sailor who got lost at
sea with a compass in his hand
2. When asked why he didn’t use it, he said, “I
didn’t dare to. I wanted it to go north but
it kept pointing south. Finally, I threw it
overboard. It was useless and worthless!
B. There are people around us who refuse to be guided by God’s compass!
1. Because it won’t say what they want it to
say, they cast it aside.
2. Instead substitute their opinions, feelings,
3. Anything rather than accept the truth and
obey it - Psa.119:105
4. When will we ever learn? Trust and obey
there is no other way
5. Decide today to make the Word of God the
standard & rule of faith in your life. Only
the Bible and the Bible only is the standard
for truth - Jn.12:48
III. DEAD FAITH OR OBEDIENT FAITH?
A. Many in the religious world believe in faith alone for salvation
1. Yet the only time Alone is used is in
Jas.2:17 “Even so faith, if it hath not
works is dead, being ALONE”
2. A dead faith is not what God wants, and yet
many today have it, both in the Church and
B. The Faith that God is looking for is an Obedient Faith
1. Before and after conversion. The active
obedient faith that we showed in becoming a
Christian needs to continue as we live for
Christ, share our faith, attend worship and
study times etc.
2. Don’t let your faith die - Rev.3:1-6 A dying
church - corpse that needed a spiritual
resurrection. Are you alive and growing in
3. What kind of faith do you have? God is
looking for those who have a working faith
like that of Noah - Heb.11:6; Gal.5:6 works
through love. I WANT TO BE A WORKER FOR THE
LORD - then we will grow!
IV. BROAD OR NARROW ROAD Matt.7:13-14
A. Broad road will lead to destruction (Hell)
1. This is where the Rich Man ended up - a
foretaste of it. Lk.16:19-31
2. He made some bad choices, and ended up in the
3. Lazarus made some right choices, and finished
up in Abraham’s bosom
B. Narrow road will lead us to Heaven - John 14:1-2
1. Living for the Lord, dying in the Lord Rev.14:13
2. It makes a difference both now and in the world
to come. Matt.25:41
3. It is the difference between COME and DEPART
4. Choose Heaven today by choosing Christ and His
Church-Head/Body They go together - Col.1:18
1. Moses made his choice. Heb.11:23-29 He lived and died in God’s will (Deut.34)
2. He fought the good fight, finished course, kept faith - so must we, but only if and when we make the right choices that will determine our eternity. The choice is yours -IN CHRIST, or OUTSIDE CHRIST - Faithful to Christ - Unfaithful to Christ. CHOOSE this day whom you will serve - Josh.24:15
3. Christ made HIS choice for you by dying on the cross and shedding his blood for your sins. Make Him YOUR choice today and one day you can see and enter the Promised land.