Summary: As Christians we were chosen by God to be recipients of God's amazing grace. The blessings of having been chosen are unfathomable. Being chosen there are also responsibilities to be fulfilled and choices to be made.
The Chosen's Choice
As Christians we were chosen by God to be recipients of God's amazing grace. The blessings of having been chosen are unfathomable. Being chosen there are also responsibilities to be fulfilled and choices to be made.
I. Our great privilege - we have been chosen by God.
A. John 15:16 "You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you."
B. 1 Peter 2:9 "But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light."
C. Ephesians 1:3-6 "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He made us accepted in the Beloved."
D. Isaiah 43:21 " This people I have formed for Myself; They shall declare My praise."
E. We were not chosen because we deserved to be chosen.
F. Deuteronomy 7:6 "For you are a holy people to the Lord your God; the Lord your God has chosen you to be a people for Himself, a special treasure above all the peoples on the face of the earth. 7 The Lord did not set His love on you nor choose you because you were more in number than any other people, for you were the least of all peoples;"
G. God didn't choose you because of something you've done. It's all because of who He is. You weren't good enough, smart enough, or spiritual enough for him to save you. He saved you because He loves you. - Rick Warren
II. Our great blessings and duty of having been chosen
A. The privilege of sonship
1. We are the children of God because of His amazing grace. It is grace alone that gives us the right or the privilege to call God Father.
2. John 1:12 "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the power (the authority, the right, the privilege) to become the sons of God, that is to those who believe in His name."
3. Too many have believed the lie of the universal Fatherhood of God. The Scriptures clearly teach "the universal Creatorship of God" not the universal Fatherhood of God. Those who are unsaved are not the children of God.
4. Ephesians 1:4-5 "He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will"
5. 1 John 3:2 "Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is."
6. The small sons of both Presidents John F. Kennedy and Abraham Lincoln were able to walk into the oval office at anytime! Others would have to wait for their precisely scheduled moment or two. But little John or little Tad could walk in anytime they pleased. Why? Because the man who was “president” to everyone else was “daddy” to them.