Summary: The Church in Prayer - Acts chapter 4 verses 23-31 - sermon by Gordon Curley PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request – email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• They Prayed initially (vs 23)
• They Prayed collectively (vs 24)
• They prayed confidently (vs 24&28)
• They prayed biblically (vs 25-26)
• They prayed expectantly (vs 30-31)
• A man went to the doctors complaining about his loud snoring;
• The doctor asked him; “Does it keep your wife awake at night?”
• He replied, “My wife! Why it keeps the whole congregation awake!”
• TRANSITION: No preacher wants to send his congregation to sleep;
• If we are honest we all want to make an impact!
• A young preacher said to an older preacher;
• “Sometimes when I preached there was a great outpouring of blessing,
• But at other times, there seemed to be an out-and-out famine”.
• The older college said to him;
• "Have you ever tried to breathe out three times while only breathing in once?"
• The young guy replied; "No."
• "Then try it." Said the older college.
• So the younger man duly obliged, and he found it was impossible.
• So the younger man said to the older college; "It can’t be done,"
• The older college just nodded and smiled and said; “There’s your answer."
• TRANSITION: If we want to be effective in our preaching & evangelism;
• We must make sure we are taking in as well as giving out!
• And that is one of the key lessons from this passage in Acts chapter 4.
• The context is evangelism (sharing our faith with others);
• Last week you probably noted that
• Peter and John stood before the Sanhedrin (Jewish court);
• Their crime verse 2 tells us was: “Teaching and preaching about the risen Christ”.
• And they are ordered by the authorities to be silent, to shut up!
• Their crime was telling other people about Jesus!
• And in verse 31 at the end of today’s passage, we read:
• “Filled with the Holy Spirit and they spoke the word of God boldly!
• Once again their priority was telling other people about Jesus!
• Mercedes Benz was the company who first produced a car body design;
• That was able to absorb the force of a collision on impact.
• One Mercedes Benz TV commercial shows their car;
• Colliding with a cement wall during a safety test.
• Since then of course many other car companies have followed its design.
• Someone then asks the company spokesman,
• "Why they do not enforce their patent on the Mercedes Benz energy-absorbing car body?"
• He reply was very insightful, he said:
• "Because some things in life are too important not to share."
• TRANSITION: That is what these very first Christian believe;
• That the gospel is too important not too share!'
NOW WE PICK UP THE STORY IN VERSE 24:
• Then Sanhedrin (religious Jewish council) decides to releases them.
• And they immediately go back to the other Christians and start to pray.