Summary: The kind of church members that every pastor would love to have in their church.
ACTS 4:36-37 "THE CHURCH MEMBER OF MY DREAMS"
A) Now what would a pastor’s dream church member be like?
* If I had the kind of church member who would be the church member of my fondest dreams,
what would he be like? * Well I’m going to show you in just a moment what he would be like.
* Now the church member of my dreams would be the Apostle Paul.
* Oh, I’d love to have Paul in the congregation, but I’d personally hate to have a congregation full
of Pauls. * You talk about being intimidated when you preach!
* But I just don’t believe I’d enjoy preaching to a congregation of Pauls!
B) I love Peter, I’m glad God made Peter, I believe God made one because we needed him,
* But only one because he’s the only one we could stand. * Thank God for Simon Peter.
* He’s a great guy, but I just don’t believe I’d like a church full of Simon Peters.
* I believe that if I could have the church member of my dreams it would be this man, Joses that I
just read to you about. * Only that’s not what they called him.
C) They called him Barnabas, that is, that was the name he was given!
* Today, we would say that his nickname was Barnabas!
* And the word Barnabas was interpreted, son of consolation!
* Well you say, "What’s so great about that?"
* Well the word consolation is the same word that the Holy Spirit is called by, the Comforter.
* Well what does that mean? * It literally means encouragement!
D) Now we’re getting to the bottom line ... What was so great about Barney?
* They nicknamed him encourager! * They said, "You are Barnabas, you are the encourager.
* You are the son of consolation, you’re the guy that encourages us every time we’re around you."
E) Now I don’t really believe they even called him Barnabas!
* If I know this guy like I think I know him, they called him Barney.
* Old Barney, the guy everybody loved! * He was a great encourager.
* You see folks, if there’s anything that people need today, it’s encouragement because there’s so
many folks who are discouraged.
* So many people are so low they could sit on the curb and dangle their feet.
* They are discouraged and they need to be encouraged.
F) Did you know that in 2Cor.1:3 it says that God is called, "The God of all comfort!"
* And literally it’s this same word, the God of all consolation, the God of all encouragement!
* Friend, if you are discouraged God didn’t do it, the devil did it.
* The devil wants to get you discouraged, because folks, if he’s got you discouraged he has you
set for failure! * Discouragement is the dark room where the negatives of failure are developed!
G) Now, if you are discouraged the devil is on your trail!
* If you are encouraged you can do almost anything!
* In the football hall of fame, there’s a helmet hung up there.
* It belonged to Bobby Lane and underneath that helmet it says this,
* "Bobby Lane never lost a football game, time just ran out." * I like that!
* Here’s a man who just believed that it could be done and he was a man that kept the fires of
encouragement in his heart and therefore he was able to encourage other team members.