Summary: an in depth look into the teachings of Christ, to the 7 churches of revelation.
The church of Laodicea
Review 6 prior churches
1. Ephesus-repent and do the first works-get back to how it was
2. Smyrna- Fear none of those things which you shall suffer.
3. Pergamos-come out form among them and be ye separate
4. Thyatira-Stay away from false doctrines
5. Sardis-Come alive, speak the power of life
6. Philadelphia-I’ve given you an open door, now come on in. Gods favor is grace
Rev. 3:14-22 Pray
These things say the amen-the truth, the faithful and true witness, and beginning of the creation of God.
He is true and in him is no lie, He is light, and in him is no darkness. Jn. 1:1-15
15. I know thy works-just as to every other letter to the churches, he knows your works. I know that you are neither cold or hot. The word hot here means in the greek to be boiling, to be on fire. It is the same word as the fervent effectual prayers of a righteous man avail much. The boiling hot, the ones that have some heat behind them.
The reference to the cold or hot relate to the springs that were nearby. On one end of the city were the boiling hot springs of Hierapolis, and the cold springs of nearby Colasse. Jesus says to them, you are neither here nor there.
You are perhaps to in the church to enjoy the world, but you are too in the world to enjoy the church. You are not quite one thing, but yet not quite another.
v.16. So then because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
Because you cant make up your mind if you are in or out, I will spue, literally vomit you out of my mouth. God is saying You make me sick. Here you are on Sunday trying to be holier than thou, but on Monday you act and talk like that you do not even know me.
There is so much danger in being in between. If you can not make up your mind what type of person that you are, you will try to be someone else. If you are not rooted and grounded into what God has called you to be, you can be driven by anything. And this is what was happening at the church of Laodicea. (Ps. 1:1-5)
James tells us that a double minded man is unstable in all of his ways, let not that man think that he should receive any thing from the lord. If you are believing God for one thing, and confess, another, then you are double minded. The word of God says, that he is unstable in all of his ways, and don’t even think that you are going to get anything from me.
Mt. 12:25 A house that is divided against itself can not stand. You either is or you ain’t
If you are claiming to be one thing in front of people, and being another thing in private, then you are divided against your self, and you can not stand. You may last for a season, or for a short time, but when the winds start blowing, and the snow starts falling on you, your roof will start leaking, and before you know it the entire house caves in.
The word of God also tells us that a man that puts his hand to the plough and looks back, is not fit for the kingdom of God. That means the man who sits around thinking about the good old days all of the time. Talking about how much fun it used to be. Knowing that if god had not pulled you out when he did that you would already be dead and gone.