Summary: They were sound in doctrine, but they had left their first love.
THE CHURCH THAT LOST ITS FIRE
(Revelation 2:1-7) Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks; I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars: And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name’s sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted. Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent. But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God. (KJV)
The purpose of this message is so important.
1. We need to discover the problem this church had.
2. We need to discern if this problem exist today in our church.
3. We need to discard this problem in pursuit of revival.
I. THE POSITION IN WHICH THIS CHURCH WAS FOUND
A. THEY WERE TIRELESS IN SERVICE.
“I know thy works, thou hast laboured, and hast not
1. Consider the trials they endured.
2. Consider the trouble they encountered.
B. THEY WERE THEOLOGICALLY SOUND.
1. They knew what they believed.
2. They knew why they believed it.
II. THE CONDITION TO WHICH THE CHURCH HAD
“I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first
A. THE LORD WAS DISPLEASED.
B. THEIR LOVE HAD DWINDLED.
1. For Christ…Indicated today in two areas:
b. Personal devotions
2. For the Church…Indicated today in two areas:
a. Decline of interest
b. Dwindling church attendance
III. THE DECISION WITH WHICH THE CHURCH WAS
A. THEY HAD TO REMEMBER
1. Look at your past state.
2. Look at your present situation.
B. THEY HAD TO REPENT
1. Because of their coldness
2. Because of their callousness