Summary: Christians should live their lives conformed to Jesus Christ.
Intro. Many times we preach and teach, and we should, be not conformed to this world. At the same time we must remember that we are all conformed to something! Tonight I want to encourage you to be conformed. This passage reveals our love for God because of Him. How do we know we love Him?
I. The Pattern for our Lives - As He is - Sounds impossible to the Human mind.
- Christ was fearless, yet we struggle with anxieties
- Christ was love, yet we hate and hold resentment
- Christ was wise, yet we make really dumb decisions at times
- Christ was one with the Father, yet we forget how good God is
- Christ was strong, yet we are weak
- Christ was perfect, we know we are not - We fall short, but we have a pattern!
A. Holiness - Heb 4:15 "For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin."
1. He Understands, yet wants us Holy - God does not command something merely to command it - and as the Word teaches, His commands are not grievous.
2. We must Undertake the task of being right before God.
B. Humility - Heb 2:10-17
C. Honor - Luke 9:51 "And it came to pass, when the time was come that he should be received up, he stedfastly set his face to go to Jerusalem,"
He went to the Cross - He was determined to do the will of the Father.
Paul exhibited this in his final testimony - 2Ti 4:7 "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:" The fact that Jesus FINISHED WELL on our behalf should motivate us to Finish well to His glory.
II. The Pledge of our Security
A. We must live as Settled - Boldness - vs. 17
2Ti 1:12 "For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day."
Heb 7:25 "Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them."
B. We must live as Sons - as he is vs. 17
1 John 3:2 "Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is."
1. Positionally I am already as He is.
Eph 5:5 "Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) 6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:"
2. Provisionally I am a Son!
1Pe 1:4 "To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,"
III. The Proofs of Our Salvation -
Notice the verse said we are “In the World” (Not of the World)
This is one of the most troublesome things in the church. There are constant battles on how we live, how we dress, where we go, what we do - AND IT SHOULD NOT BE SO DIFFICULT! We have a Pattern and a Pledge, so where is the PROOF!
A. Attention to the Word of God - 1 John 2:3 "And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. 4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. 6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked."
1. Obedience is evidence of Possession (not the means) - vs. 3
2. Disobedience is evidence of Perversion (a claim without proof) - vs. 4
3. Obedience is evidence of Perfection - vs. 5 Not sinless, but perfect in Spiritual growth - maturity - Evidence of the effectiveness of God’s Word.
4. Obedience is evidence of our true Purpose -vs 6, walk as He walked!
B. Affection for the People of God - All men know we love God because of our love for one another - evidence!
1. The Reason for our Love for God - 1 John 4:19 "We love him, because he first loved us."
2. The Reaction of our Love for God - 1 John 4:20 "If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? 21 And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also." Unity will be evident.