Summary: The King will come and His Kingdom will be established in the end time. He will reign over the earth from Jerusalem. Israel will be regathered as His flock in His land. This is the heart of God. He wants to be with His people.
God gave the remnant in Zechariah 9-14 TWO oracles (messages) revealing their future:
• In Zech 9-11 God foretells the COMING of their Messiah, the King.
• We know that Jesus did come, and He will come again. When He returns, He will establish Himself as King in Jerusalem and reign over the Millennial Kingdom.
• From Zech 12-14 – the SECOND ORACLE tells of the King’s REIGN over His Kingdom.
• Both oracles combine tell the remnant of God’s glorious future for His people.
We started on the FIRST oracle last week, seeing how God will judge the nations surrounding Israel, from the North HADRACH all the way down to the Philistine cities in the South by the coast.
• The order of the cities correspond generally with Alexander the Great’s conquest of the region, but we know that even so, he is an instrument in God’s hand.
• God, the divine warrior, brings about His judgement against the nations.
• The remnant, though feeling weak and small at this point in time, need not be afraid of these formidable nations, no matter how strong, successful or rich they are.
God is with them and He is watching over them. Historically, this turns out to be true.
• The army of Alexander the Great passes and re-pass this city of Jerusalem but without laying siege to it.
• The Lord says, “I will defend my house” (9:8). He will protect this city and “never again will an oppressor overrun my people.” That’s the promise of God.
Beyond just protection from external threats. God will come in the Person of Christ and dwell among them. Read Zech 9:9-17.
THE KING WILL COME!
Rejoice greatly and shout (for joy obviously). Your king comes to you!
• This is not the first time they are hearing this. Zechariah shared this a few times in his earlier messages:
• In the 3rd vision (a man with a measuring line), the angel says 2:4-5 “Jerusalem will be a city without walls because of the great number of men and livestock in it. 5“And I myself will be a wall of fire around it,” declares the Lord, “and I will be its glory within.”
• In the 4th vision where Joshua was given clean garments - 3:8 "Listen, O high priest Joshua and your associates seated before you, who are men symbolic of things to come: I am going to bring My servant, the Branch.” And the Lord says He will remove the sin of this land in a single day.
• In in the symbolic crowning of Joshua in Zech 6:12-13 “Tell him this is what the LORD Almighty says: `Here is the man whose name is the Branch, and he will branch out from his place and build the temple of the LORD. 13It is he who will build the temple of the LORD, and he will be clothed with majesty and will sit and rule on his throne. And he will be a priest on his throne. And there will be harmony between the two.'”
Clearly this Branch, this high priest cum King, this Messiah Christ will come.
Isaiah spoke of this when he prophesied in Isaiah 9:6-7 (200 years before)
• “6For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, [that’s the first coming of Christ] and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 7Of the increase of His government and peace there will be no end.
[And then he went on to say…] He will reign on David's throne and over His kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the LORD Almighty will accomplish this.”
Zechariah 9:9b “Behold, your king is coming to you; righteous and having salvation is he, humble and mounted on a donkey, on a colt (‘coat’), the foal (‘fold’) of a donkey.”
• He is the RIGHTEOUS/JUST King who comes bringing SALVATION (deliverance), not riding on a war-horse ready for battle but on a young donkey proclaiming peace.
• A reference was made to this by Matthew when he related Jesus’ final entry to Jerusalem (Matt 21:1-5).
Ultimately what will Christ achieved with His coming?
• 9:11-12 11As for you also, because of the blood of my covenant with you, I will set your prisoners free from the waterless pit. 12Return to your stronghold, O prisoners of hope; today I declare that I will restore to you double.
• He will set them free, from captivity (in the dungeon of a pit) and restore them, both physically (back to their land and Jerusalem) and ultimately spiritually, back to Himself. They will acknowledge Him as their King and submit to His reign.