Summary: Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ has made us free.
THE COST OF FREEDOM
Ac 22:28 And the chief captain answered, With a great sum obtained I this freedom. And Paul said, But I was [free] born.
I. THE FREEDOM HE BOUGHT
A. THE CHIEF CAPTAIN WAS NOT BORN A CITIZEN OF
1. He lived in bondage.
2. He longed for something better.
B. THE CHIEF CAPTAIN BOUGHT HIS CITIZENSHIP.
1. It was costly.
2. It had conditions.
3. It conferred certain privileges.
a. It was a crime to bind a Roman Citizen.
b. It was a crime to beat a Roman Citizen.
II. THE FREEDOM HE COULD NOT BUY
Gal. 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
A. SPIRITUAL FREEDOM CANNOT BE PURCHASED.
1. Money does not buy freedom from the power of sin.
2. Money does not buy freedom from the penalty of sin.
B. SPIRITUAL FREEDOM IS ONLY POSSIBLE THROUGH
John 8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.
1. He experienced the shame [for us].
2. He encountered the suffering [for us].