Summary: I think at some point after we become followers of Christ we become Christianized in a way that insulates us and makes us forget just how “crazy” the claims of Christianity are. This month I want us to revisit some of the stories the in Scripture that be
“That’s Just Crazy!”
The Craziest Kid Ever!
• Who Get’s Your Vote?
• My Vote Goes to David – The Shepherd-King
LOOK AT THIS CRAZY CONTRAST
• Goliath is 9’ 9” tall – A Giant
• David was too small to adequately manage Saul’s Armor
• Compare it to me Holding my Grand-daughter
LOOK AT HIS CRAZY COURAGE (12-24)
• Don’t we all know some “Crazy,” “Fearless” kid that we all kind of sit back and wait for him to “get some experience.”
• How many of us—GUYS—were ever “Double Dog Dared?”
The Stage is Set for God to Do an Amazing Thing
• The Entire Israeli Army Had Assembled – No One Responded
• This Whole Action Took Place over 40 DAYS (17.16)
Everything Was in Place, but No One Dared to Trust God
• Not the Army
• Not the Commander and Chief
• No One would Respond to the insults, Blasphemy, Challenge
Enter the Shepherd Boy
DAVID HAD ABSOLUTELY NO FEAR OF GOLIATH WHEN
EVERYONE ELSE WAS TOTALLY TERRIFIED OF HIM.
• David Had been going back and forth from the Field to the Flock
• Jesse sends him with some food and to get a report from his brothers
CONSIDER HIS CRAZY CONFIDENCE
• It appears to me that the defeat of Goliath was a foregone conclusion based on David’s Confidence (which some might consider arrogance.) But, with a God like David’s—like ours—such arrogance in God is appropriate.
When We Boast We Should be Boasting in the “Right Stuff”
• Psalm 20:7 (NASB77)
7 Some boast in chariots, and some in horses; But we will boast in the name of the LORD, our God.
• Psalm 34:1-3 (NASB77)
1 I Will bless the LORD at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth.
2 My soul shall make its boast in the LORD; The humble shall hear it and rejoice.
3 O magnify the LORD with me, And let us exalt His name together.
• Galatians 6:14 (NASB77)
14 But may it never be that I should boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.
THINK ABOUT HIS CRAZY RESPONSE TO NEGATIVE COMMENTS
• First He’s Blasted by His Brother (28)
• Second He’s Snubbed by Saul (33)
• Finally He is Insulted by the Enemy (41-44)
• When we were leaving West Virginia for Florida we were “surrounded” with negativity.
• People will often criticize what doesn’t make sense to them reasonably
What if David had listened to the Voice of Reason instead of the Voice of Truth?
• Golly, you’re right…what was I thinking? I’m going back to the sheep where I belong.
What if we had…if you had…
LISTEN TO HIS CRAZY CONFESSION (34-37)
• Courage and Confidence Come from Remembering the Past – God Delivered
• Courage and Confidence Come from Trusting in the Present – God is Here Now
• Courage and Confidence Come from Relying for the Future – It’s in God’s Hands
ENTERING A CRAZY CONTEST (45-47)
• Everyone in the Stands that Day must have despaired (Imagine the buzz)
• Could it be that in all of Israel the “best” they could do was this crazy kid?
• But, David Knew that The Contest wasn’t Between a Shepherd and a Soldier
This Knowledge Enabled Him to Remove the Protection of the World (Saul’s Armor)
This Knowledge Allowed Him to Refuse the Weapons of the World (Stones and Sling)
This Knowledge Compelled Him to Reject the Wisdom of the World (Face the Giant)
Remember the Text of Ephesians 6:10-18
10 Finally, be strengthened by the Lord and by His vast strength.
11 Put on the full armor of God so that you can stand against the tactics of the Devil.
12 For our battle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the world powers of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavens.
13 This is why you must take up the full armor of God, so that you may be able to resist in the evil day, and having prepared everything, to take your stand.
14 Stand, therefore, with truth like a belt around your waist, righteousness like armor on your chest,
15 and your feet sandaled with readiness for the gospel of peace.
16 In every situation take the shield of faith, and with it you will be able to extinguish the flaming arrows of the evil one.
17 Take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is God’s word.
18 With every prayer and request, pray at all times in the Spirit, and stay alert in this, with all perseverance and intercession for all the saints.