Summary: I think at some point after we become followers of Christ we become Christianized in a way that insulates us and makes us forget just how “crazy” the claims of Christianity are. This month I want us to revisit some of the stories the in Scripture that be
“That’s Just Crazy!”
The Craziest Kid Ever!
• Who Get’s Your Vote?
• My Vote Goes to David – The Shepherd-King
LOOK AT THIS CRAZY CONTRAST
• Goliath is 9’ 9” tall – A Giant
• David was too small to adequately manage Saul’s Armor
• Compare it to me Holding my Grand-daughter
LOOK AT HIS CRAZY COURAGE (12-24)
• Don’t we all know some “Crazy,” “Fearless” kid that we all kind of sit back and wait for him to “get some experience.”
• How many of us—GUYS—were ever “Double Dog Dared?”
The Stage is Set for God to Do an Amazing Thing
• The Entire Israeli Army Had Assembled – No One Responded
• This Whole Action Took Place over 40 DAYS (17.16)
Everything Was in Place, but No One Dared to Trust God
• Not the Army
• Not the Commander and Chief
• No One would Respond to the insults, Blasphemy, Challenge
Enter the Shepherd Boy
DAVID HAD ABSOLUTELY NO FEAR OF GOLIATH WHEN
EVERYONE ELSE WAS TOTALLY TERRIFIED OF HIM.
• David Had been going back and forth from the Field to the Flock
• Jesse sends him with some food and to get a report from his brothers
CONSIDER HIS CRAZY CONFIDENCE
• It appears to me that the defeat of Goliath was a foregone conclusion based on David’s Confidence (which some might consider arrogance.) But, with a God like David’s—like ours—such arrogance in God is appropriate.
When We Boast We Should be Boasting in the “Right Stuff”
• Psalm 20:7 (NASB77)
7 Some boast in chariots, and some in horses; But we will boast in the name of the LORD, our God.
• Psalm 34:1-3 (NASB77)
1 I Will bless the LORD at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth.
2 My soul shall make its boast in the LORD; The humble shall hear it and rejoice.
3 O magnify the LORD with me, And let us exalt His name together.
• Galatians 6:14 (NASB77)
14 But may it never be that I should boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.
THINK ABOUT HIS CRAZY RESPONSE TO NEGATIVE COMMENTS
• First He’s Blasted by His Brother (28)
• Second He’s Snubbed by Saul (33)
• Finally He is Insulted by the Enemy (41-44)
• When we were leaving West Virginia for Florida we were “surrounded” with negativity.
• People will often criticize what doesn’t make sense to them reasonably
What if David had listened to the Voice of Reason instead of the Voice of Truth?
• Golly, you’re right…what was I thinking? I’m going back to the sheep where I belong.
What if we had…if you had…
LISTEN TO HIS CRAZY CONFESSION (34-37)
• Courage and Confidence Come from Remembering the Past – God Delivered
• Courage and Confidence Come from Trusting in the Present – God is Here Now