Summary: This message takes a look at the Day of the Lord and it’s meaning primarily to the believer.
The Day of the Lord
I. The Uncertainty and the Certainty (v. 1-3)
A. For the believer, there is no need to know the exact time of the Day of the Lord. (v.1) There are a few reasons for this.
1. It will not affect you (I Thes. 5:9)
2. Jesus took our wrath and judgment if we are believers. (John 3:18, 36)
3. Jesus said we do not need to know. (Acts 1:7)
B. There are some things that are certain about this day. (v. 2-3)
1. Believers need to be aware that the day is coming and what it includes (v. 2a)
2. It will come upon the earth without warning (v. 2b)
3. It will be a time when the world will be under a delusion. (3a & II Thes. 2:9-12)
4. It will be a time of great destruction (v. 3b & Matt. 24:22)
5. It will be a time of no escape for the unrighteous. (v. 3c & Rev. 9:6)
II. The Deliverance of the Saints (v. 4-10)
A. Our Encouragement Concerning that Day (v. 4-5)
1. We are prepared by faith in Christ (Col. 1:13)
2. We are prepared because of our position (v. 5) (A thief cannot surprise you in the light of day, but usually will come in darkness)
B. Our Exhortation Concerning that Day (v. 6-8)
1. Paul exhorts the believer to be alert and active in serving God (v. 6)
2. Paul points out those that live outside of Christ will be unprepared for that day. (v. 7)(see v. 3)
3. Paul gives instruction on how to live in light of the coming Day of the Lord. (v. 8)
1. “be sober..” - We are to be alert spiritually. Be self controlled and not be taken in by the lure of the world to a life of unholy living.
2. “breastplate of faith and love..” In using the term breastplate Paul is giving us a picture of a defense against the attacks of Satan. Faith includes trust in God’s plan, promises and truth of His word. It is an unwavering belief in the things of God. Love is included here because it is our love for God and each other that gets us by day to day.
3. “helmet of salvation..” This is a picture of the ultimate protection from the wrath of God which is what the day of the Lord will be. It is placed on us by God Himself and will never be removed. (John 10:28-29)
C. Our Promise of Deliverance (v. 9-11)
1. The promise of missing the Tribulation (v. 9a)
2. The reason for our deliverance (v. 9b-10)
1. Because of our way of salvation (v. 9b)
2. Because of the price paid for our deliverance (v. 10a)
3. Our destination is a certainty (v. 10b)
III. We Are to Teach This to Encourage and Build One Another Up (v. 11)