Summary: The Triumphal Entry is just a glimpse of that DAY of the Lord.
THE DAY THE KING CAME
Illustration: Every conquering hero has a parade. In 1990-91 when our armed forces returned from Desert Storm, most cities had parades for our returning heroes. In sports it is pretty much the same, the city of the winning team has a parade to honor their champions. This event described by Luke is only a prelude to a coming parade, a coming triumphal procession.
Introduction: All four gospel writers record what we call “THE TRUIMPHAL PROCESSION” Matthew has it in Chapter 21, Mark has it in Chapter 11, John has it in Chapter 12. Luke records it for us in Chapter 19. All of them record it, some have different details, but they all have the main parts. In looking at the parade we see three events, 3 past events and 1 future. event
The First past event (verses 28-35)
1. He tells them to find the donkey
2. They find it just as he had said
3. They place their cloaks on it and then seat him.
The soon to be conquering hero rides on a lowly donkey, his saddle is the cloaks of his disciples, but there are higher principles involved.
In a Triumphal procession the conquering hero leads the parade followed by his faithful soldiers. They sing cadence or a unified song of glory to the victor or victory.
The Second Past event: (verses 37-38)
1. The disciples gather and follow
2. Voices sing attracting attention
3. They call him KING (Luke), LORD (Mark), SON OF DAVID (Matthew), KING OF ISRAEL (John).
The parade is met with opposition just as some might have opposed those who served in Desert Storm, Vietnam, Korea, WW I and II. Jesus is the soon to be conquering hero in the battle between good and evil.
The 3rd past event (verses 41-44)
1. Jesus approaches the city
2. He weeps for it
3. “If only. . . .”
4. They did not recognize God’s coming
5. He is coming to be struck down by his enemies
All of this is a prelude to an event yet to happen. There will be another procession
The Future event (Rev. 21:11-16)
1. A white horse as opposed to a donkey
2. His followers will be with him in the parade and riding on white horses.
3. His name is the WORD OF GOD
4. His followers are all dressed in white robes made pure by the blood of the Lamb
5. He will strike down the enemies of God
6. His name is the KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.
30 AD it was a triumphal procession that led to Calvary, and eventually his death. In the future it will be the death of his enemies. There were many who missed it when he first came, where will you be when he returns, where would you be if he came today? Will he lament over you like he did over Jerusalem because they missed it?
One way to know for sure, Give your life to him today!