Summary: Man was not made for solitude. He has a craving for fellowship and sympathy which can be satisfied only in the conscious possession of the affection of another. A true friend therefore, is one of the best of blessings. I rejoice that in Jesus we have a friend that stays closer than a brother.
THE DEAREST FRIEND I EVER HAD
INTRODUCTION: Man was not made for solitude. He has a craving for fellowship and sympathy which can be satisfied only in the conscious possession of the affection of another. A true friend therefore, is one of the best of blessings. I rejoice that in Jesus we have a friend that stays closer than a brother.
NOTE: Some of the surpassing excellence of the friendship of Jesus.
I. IT IS SEEN IN THE SACRIFICE WHICH HE MADE FOR US.
1. II Cor. 8:9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.
2. Think of His humble birth, His lowly life, His privation, His weariness, His sorrow, His agony, His crucifixion.
3. Truly, looking at Calvary’s cross we may exclaim: “There is a Friend that sticketh closer than a brother.”
II. IT IS SEEN IN THE SYMPATHY HE FEELS FOR US.
1. Friendship is based on sympathy. (Sympathy defined—mutual liking or understanding)
2. For as God He is always acquainted with our innermost feelings, and as man He knows our human limitations and struggles.
3. His love is stronger than death, stronger than to be taken even by our folly and falls.
III. IT IS SEEN BY THE CONSTANCY WHICH HE MANIFESTS FOR US.
1. The friends of earth too often worship prosperity and leave us when our wealth is gone.
2. Jesus is true to us at all times, and most especially in our hour of need.
3. Jesus is a very present help in trouble. Psalms 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
IV. IT IS SEEN IN HIS FAITHFULNESS TO US.
A flattering friend is in the end the most dangerous of enemies. Faithful are the wounds inflicted by a friend. Proverbs 27:5-6 Open rebuke is better than secret love. Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.
Jesus is our truest adviser who will rather hurt our self-conceit than suffer our self-conceit to injure us.
V.THE SUPERIORITY OF THIS FRIEINDSHIP IS APPARENT WHEN WE CONSIDER THE RESOURCES WHICH HE COMMANDS.
1. Many earthly friends have the will to help us, but lack the ability, but in Him the power and the will are united.
2. Jesus never fails, never disappoints, never deceives.
3. His power, His goodness, His wisdom are ours.