Summary: The most important lesson you will teach your children is to learn biblical submission through the process of teaching them to obey. It is the primary spiritual lesson and foundation of parenting.
THE IMPORTANCE OF PARENTING – YOUR KIDS NEED YOU
It is my firm opinion that people do not know how to parent any longer. As a nation, the last generation of parents failed and now a new generation of parents is trying to discover how to do it with no role model, but only a broken home to look back to.
There is not a more important emphasis for the church, our church, or any church than fighting as hard as we can against the devil and his world system to save and strengthen families. This is why we do family matters. This is why this year we will focus exclusively on parenting.
Your Goal: an adult who walks with God
Your Role: obedience to God’s command to systematically train your child to walk with God
Our Failure: We are losing 8 out of 10 kids by the age of 19.
Studies done by the Southern Baptist Convention, and independent studies in at least two other denominations, reveal that we are losing our church kids. These studies reveal that of the children in church today, 8 out of 10 will not be there o their 19th birthday.
NOTE: our goal = at age19, they are ready to walk with God, but we lose 8 out of 10.
Turn to Ephesians 5 -6 and let’s read selected verses.
In 6: 1-4, you will find this-
3 commands: 3 categories of activities that encompass all of parenting
1) Obey/corollary of do not provoke your kids to wrath
This is the rest of the series for the rest of the month. However, they do no good if you do not get this command. “I do not know how” is an excuse for not wanting to do the hard work. It’s all here in scripture so it is incorrect to say that I do not know how. You just do not want to get it.
2) bring up your child in the training of the Lord
3) bring up your child in the admonition (correction) of the Lord
I. Understanding Respect
Verse 1 commands children to obey. This is an application of a prior truth. As we read, chapter 5 begins by commanding Christians to walk in a sacrificial love, i.e. submission. 5:18 commands us to be submitted to the Holy Spirit. Verse 21 states clearly that being “filled by the Holy Spirit” results in our biblical submission to one another. Paul then writes numerous applications for us: wives to husbands, husbands to wives by loving them the way Jesus did when He died for us, and children to their parents.
Scripture analysis of this passage
• 10 commandments: The first 4 were for God and the next one is this one w/ a promise: obey your parents. Why? God made perfect relationships(Garden of Eden)based on love. Sin messed them up – selfishness was created. To be saved you must submit to His plan. To walk in the loving relationships He created you must walk in submission to those you love. A non-submissive spirit will cause you to lie, cheat, and steal. This is key to the maturation of a child.
• Note: the 10 commandments were given to all of Israel. The command to obey was given to everyone, not just the kids. This command falls on the parents as well as the kids. Where will they learn to obey if not from the parents?
• Parent to child is the basic learning relationship, as well as God’s plan for learning how to live, and to know the Lord. Everything begins or comes unglues in the home.