Summary: God intervenes in the course of mankind only when man reaches a point of disobedience, disregard and damage.
* Tomorrow, we will celebrate 235 years since some great men signed a document which could have been their very death warrant.
* That document begins with “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”
* This document is said to have served as a moral statement that has guided this nation for 235 years.
* Notice the touchstone of this document, a God and creator who gifted mankind with rights and responsibilities.
* From that is where our country has drifted. We have fallen to the temptation of placing a higher priority on the created than upon the Creator.
* These men viewed themselves as very common representatives of mankind, but they felt they had a chance to join in on one of God’s great works in the world.
* John Adams wrote his wife during the drafting of the Declearation of Independence.
* In that letter, he said.
* “The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more. You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will tryumph in that Days Transaction, even altho We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not.”
* And, so, as a nation, we began; with a foundation stone, a reliance on God our creator.
* Our nation was founded not only on surrender to His lordship, but based upon His view of the value of the individual.
* Our nation was based on the love of God, so great for a fallen people, He sent His only Son to take our punishment.
* It was based on the idea that there was no man, woman, boy or girl that was so low they could separate themselves from the His reign and righteousness, nor could they outreach His love and grace.
* What has gone so terribly wrong?
* Today, I often hear great pride in our nation, but for the wrong reasons.
* I often hear pride in humanity and our accomplishments.
* So many messages have crept into the Church that exalt the “creature instead of the creator”.
* “You can do whatever you set your mind to do.”
* “Wish it. Dream it. Do it.”
* Our message to new graduates is often about opportunity.
* The message sounds good, often sounds right.
* Pro 16:25 There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death.