Summary: Jude the author of the Book of Jude is Identified.
1. The Nelson Study Bible, "Few books in the N.T. have more to say to our generation than the Epistle of Jude. Distorters of the faith will find the book distasteful because of its warnings and uncompromising stance against defectors form the truth of Jesus Christ. But to those who approach the book with receptive hearts, Judes word's speak as clearly and forcefully today as they did almost two thousand years ago."
2. This is a small but powerful book.
3. The Descriptive Greeting about the Author.
Trans: Jude 1:1a
I. FIRST, JUDE IDENTITY.
Jude - literally Judas or Judah. The name Jude (Judas) is the Greek form of the well-known Old Testament Hebrew name Judah.
The term Ἰ-ού-δας [ee-oo-das] has 6 distinct uses in the New Testament. Specifically, it refers:
(1) to Judah, the son of Jacob in the genealogy of Jesus (Matthew 1:2);
(2) to Judah, one of the 12 tribes of Israel (Revelation 5:5; 7:5);
(3) to Judah, the southern kingdom after the division (Hebrews 7:14; 8:8);
(4) to Judas Iscariot, the thief who betrayed Jesus and committed suicide
(5) to Judas, the son (brother, cf. KJV) of James [Greek text, just says lit.
"of James.", who was one of the 12 apostles (Luke 6:16);
(6) to Judas, the brother of the Lord (Mark 6:3) who authored the general epistle known as Jude. Complete Biblical Library Greek-English Dictionary - The Complete Biblical Library Greek-English Dictionary – Zeta-Kappa.
II. FURTHERMORE, JUDE RECEPTION OF MERCY.
Jude - not Judas Iscariot!
Spurgeon, "This Judas was not the son of perdition, but a true son of God, a sincere and earnest-hearted believer. Yet, when he wrote his own name down, Judas, which we pronounce short as "Jude," I think that the tears must have come to his eyes as he remembered that other Judas,-with the same name, and by birth with the same nature.
If left to himself, he might have proved a traitor to his Master, like the other Judas; but grace had made him to differ from the man who betrayed his Lord. If it had been your case or mine, I am sure that we could not have written down that name without reflecting upon our obligations to the sovereign grace of God, which kept us from being sons of perdition."
How many Johnny Palmer s will die and go to hell - people with my same name, same sin nature, and same condition of spiritual death. Why will I end up in heaven instead of the lake of fire?
Grace! Rom. 3:10/Jn.1:12
There is an old saying that is true - "But for the grace of God go I!"
I think most of us feel like John Newton who said, "When I get to heaven I shall see three wonders there. The first wonder will be, to see many people there whom I did not expect to see—the second wonder will be, to miss many people whom I did expect to see; and the third and greatest wonder of all, will be to find myself there."
Ken Langley, "After worrying for half an hour that we wouldn't get on an overbooked flight, my wife and I were summoned to the check-in desk. A smiling agent whispered that this was our lucky day.