Summary: THE DEVIL’S DESIRE IS TO SEPARATE US FROM THE LORD GOD!!
THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT PART I: WHERE IT ALL BEGAN
GENESIS 2:25 – 3:10
SUNDAY JUNE 20, 2003
INTRODUCTION: THE CORPSE OF SIN
When he was arrested in February 2002 for dumping off as many as 200 bodies in nearby woods, 28 year old Ray Brent Marsh, the operator of Tri-State Crematory told authorities that the incinerator had not worked for some time. A spokesman for the company that made the incinerator said the Marshes had turned down all offers to service the unit since 1984. A two year recommended service call costs $795. The average cost to the family for a basic cremation is about $1,200. Operator costs are about $25 to cremate a body. What was the payoff for neglecting this small expense? Why did this happen for so many years?
No one really knows, but maybe what resulted in unbelievable negligence began during one busy month. “I need to get that fixed ASAP. Let’s be sure to take care of that tomorrow. Maybe next year we can afford it.” The Marsh Family was known as a good family. Maybe you are known as a good person- a good family. And yet there is that one “thing”--that one vice-- you need to fix. ”I’ll work on it tomorrow.” And tomorrow turns in to next year. And soon, you are overcome with the mountain of sin that surrounds you, the corpses of your own making that are too numerous to hide.
“Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.” (Galatians 6:7).
Source: SermonCentral staff. Citation: CNN.com,
TRANSITION THOUGHT: Today, I want us to begin on a journey of realization. The church has a great responsibility to instruct us in the ways in which we are to live our lives and just how it is we can live lives pleasing to God. To do this, there are some things we must understand. I believe one of the most basic truths we must learn as Christians is how the Devil works. If you don’t believe there is a Devil, he already has you. If you know he exists, but are not concerned with his existence, you are heading toward destruction. BUT, if you believe he exists and desire to know how to avoid his attacks and our downfall, you are in the right place today!! Today, as our text points outs, we are going to look at how DEVIL desires to deceive and how we can stand up to that deception.
THESIS SENTENCE: THE DEVIL’S DESIRE IS TO SEPARATE US FROM THE LORD GOD!!
I. IT BEGINS WITH TEMPTATION
A. Temptation begins with a tempter
1. Our text begins with not just any tempter, but one who is craftier than any other.
2. Why do you think we are told this? It is an immediate clue to watch out!! 3. The one that desires to tempt you is no slouch; he knows what he is doing!!
4. And just to make it clear what kind of character this is, no it is not a lion or any other noble creature, it is a snake! Throughout the rest of scripture the snake is known as the Devil or Satan!
B. Temptation is just that: TEMPTATION
1. “HE SAID TO THE WOMAN, ‘Did God really say, you must not eat from any tree in the garden.’”
2. Why this conversation? Why does the Devil approach the woman? Was Adam there? It appears from verse 6 Adam was present, but does not speak up! 3. The Devil loves to start conversations that draw us to a place of doubt, a place of questioning what we believe and have been taught.