Summary: THE HOLY SPIRIT LEADS US SUCCESSFULLY THROUGH THE DEVIL’S ATTACK!!
THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT PART II: LET’S TRY THAT AGAIN
LUKE 4: 1-13
SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2003
INTRODUCTION: A woman bought an extravagant dress and the husband asked, “Why did it have to be so extravagant?” She said, “The devil made me buy it.” The husband asked, “Why didn’t you say get behind me Satan?” The woman said, “I did and he said it looked as good in the front as it did in the back,” so I bought it!
Contributed by: Martin Albanese
TRANSITION THOUGHT: This week we are continuing on the Journey of understanding just how the Devil works. Again I say, if you don’t believe he is hard at work, “Where is the crowd on Sunday Morning?” Last week, we looked at where it began, in the Garden of Eden. We looked at how that old snake started a conversation that we are all paying for today. Today I want us to look at the conversation Tony read us. Did you notice, this time no one messes up! The truth is, with a little understanding we can learn we don’t have to play that game, “THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT!”
THESIS SENTENCE: THE HOLY SPIRIT LEADS US SUCCESSFULLY THROUGH THE DEVIL’S ATTACK!!
I. THE DEVIL ATTACKS AT OPPORTUNE TIMES
A. OPPORTUNITY IS A HIGH TIME
1. Our text begins with Jesus’ baptism.
2. This was not just any baptism, either. At this baptism, the Holy Spirit descended on him and a voice came from heaven saying “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”
3. Could life get any better?
4. Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the desert, where for forty days he was tempted by the devil.
5. The devil does not take any time off!
MINI TRUTH: YOU CAN BE ATTACKED EVEN AFTER HIGH SPIRITUAL TIMES!
B. OPPORTUNITY IS A DESERT TIME
1. Now this one we expect.
2. The desert is the place of attack. You know the desert. It is the place where there is no water. It is the place of extreme temperature. It is the place without shelter.
3. To add to all this, the devil has been at it for forty days and Jesus has not eaten a thing.
4. This is also a picture of the desert, the devil on your back for forty days and an empty stomach to boot!
MINI TRUTH: YOU WILL BE ATTACKED IN YOUR DESERT TIMES, SO BE READY!
ILLUSTRATION: One night an Arab had settled in for the night and had just fallen asleep when his camel stuck his head in his tent and explained that it was awful cold and asked permission to just stick his legs inside the tent to keep them warm. Granting him permission the Arab went back to sleep. A little while later the camel woke him up a second time and asked permission to stick his head in. Again permission was granted. This continued on throughout the night until finally the Arab woke up to find the entire camel in the tent with him. When he told the camel that there just was not enough room in the tent for the both of them the camel suggested that the Arab might want to leave. That is exactly what Satan does. He slips into our lives a little at a time and one day we wake up and alarmed we tell him that there just is not enough room for both he and Jesus in our lives. To which he suggests that Jesus might then want to leave.