Summary: After spending 4 chapters to show us we all are sinners and that faith is the only avenue of salvation Paul begins to show us the possibilities of a genuine Christian life.
The Difference Christ Makes
• Chapter 5 is a new beginning:
1) Chapters 1-3 demonstrate that sin is an issue that every man, woman, and child must deal with. ALL HAVE SINNED AND FALLEN SHORT.
2) Chapter 4 Paul shows us that dealing with this problem is only possible through one means. Works righteousness is impossible….even Abraham demonstrated that by his life….only faith in Christ can deal with sin in our lives.
• THEREFORE: Pointing backwards, ‘because of all that I have proven you can now count on these wonderful truths’.
• THREE THINGS PAUL SHARES WITH US IN Verses 1-5
1) The Blessings of the Past
2) The Blessings of the Present
3) The Blessings of the Future
(1) Therefore having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, (2) through Whom we also have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we exult in hope of the glory of God. (3) And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; (4) and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; (5) and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit Who was given to us.
• These are things that are truly available to them because they understand how a true relationship of God comes:
Admitting our sin(1-3) &
Resting by Faith on the Finished Work of Jesus Christ thru His shed blood
on the cross(4).
Now they can know the benefits of a genuine relationship with God.
• Faith is not a new message: Abraham demonstrated it before the law, David demonstrated it while under the law, God expects it of us apart from the law.
THE BLESSINGS IN THE PAST: Therefore, having been justified by faith..
• Past tense statement of what is now true of us if we have trusted by faith in Jesus Christ.
• You may have in your Bible, ‘Therefore being justified by faith..’(RSV/KJV). AORIST tense verb meaning a simple past act with lasting effects today. Also has a PASSIVE VOICE: Means that it is something received without any effort or action of your own.
1) Paid mortgage/bills for children in hope: Done on their behalf without any effort or action of their own.
2) We have no point of boasting regarding our relationship with God. Except in what Christ has done for us. It was our only hope.
Family reunion in KC some years ago. Stayed at a Holidome with an indoor pool. Kid’s were much younger then. Shiloh was maybe 2 at the time. Older kid’s were all splashing around in the pool and I was bringing Shiloh down some steps. I had him on the final step before the bottom and was about to pick him up and take him out into deeper waters.
One of the other kids distracted me and I turned to respond for a few moments. When I turned around I saw something that really intrigued me: With my back turned Shiloh had stepped on off that last step which was over his head.
But he was not splashing or struggling in fact I could see him under the water: his eyes were open, he was holding his breath and just turning his head from side to side.