Summary: Following Christ in His last days on earth.
The Directions From Jesus Matthew 26:17-30
I. The Preparation (26:17-19)
A. When? (26:17a)
. Feast of Passover - 1st day, 14th of Nisan
. Feast of Unleavened Bread - 15th to 21st of Nisan
B. Who? (27:17b) Jesus and His men
C. Where? (26:17c-19)
1. The Telling (26:17c-18) certain man
. Omniscience; highly unusual for a man, domestic article
2. The Teacher (26:18b) Instruction & Intimacy (John 13-17)
. Certain man, a servant; owner of house; both believers
. Jesus may have secretly prearranged for the room?
3. The Timing (26:18c) specific, predetermined period
. John 2:4b; 7:6, 8, 30; 8:20; 12:23, 27; 13:1
. Will keep; Matthew 3:15 - to fulfill all righteousness
4. The Trusting (26:19)
II. The Pretender (26:20-25)
A. The Assembly (26:20-21a)
1. Cup #1 of wine mixed with water.
2. Ceremonial washing - moral & spiritual cleansing
3. Controversy between the disciples - who’s the greatest
4. Cleaning of disciples feet - Jesus & His serving
5. Conflict -ate bitter herbs; bondage endured
6. Cup #2 of wine - explained by the head of the house
7. Celebration - singing of Psalm 113-118; Hallel - hallelujah
8. Clean hands and breaking of bread & eating of the lamb.
B. The Announcement (26:21b) Betrayal - give over
C. The Amazement (26:22) deeply grieved, exceeding sorrow
. Impact made - John 13:22-26; 28-29; Is it I?
E. The Admonishment (26:24)
F. The Asking (26:25a)
G. The Answer (26:25b)
III. The Participation (26:26-28)
A. The Explanation - Luke 22:17, 20
1. Cup of Restoration - Exodus 6:6a; thanksgiving
2. Cup of Rebuke - Exodus 6:6b; 10 plagues, afflictions
3. Cup of Redemption - Exodus 6:6c
4. Cup of Resolution - Exodus 6:7; blessing
5. Cup that Remains - Exodus 6:8; Elijah’s
B. The Elements (26:26-28) major transition!
. Judas leaves, now He has 11 faithful men; Passover to L.S.
1. The Cracker (26:26) bread / body
Suffering, substitute, punished, penalty; God satisfied
. It refers to sinless body; 1 Corinthians 5:6-8; unleavened
. It reveals unity & fellowship - 1 Corinthians 10:16-17
2. The Cup (26:27-28) beverage / blood
. It represents the shedding of blood for sin - 1 Peter 1:18-19
. It requires faith - taste it; John 6:53-56
. It reminds - unconditional love & God’s faithfulness
Jeremiah 31:31-37; the new covenant
. It recognizes - 1 Corinthians 11:26; centrality of His death
IV. The Promise (26:29) assured them of His return
V. The Praise (26:30)