Summary: Michael Jordan's mindset. It says genetics may determine the starting line, but hard work and discipline determines the finish line.
A Bible look at the disciplined Christian. If there ever was a need in our land today for discipline it is definitely today.
1. In our nation
2. In our home
3. In our school
4. In our church
The life of Paul is a perfect example. 1 Corinthians 9:19-27
Discipline in the dictionary has several meanings.
1. To obey, John 14:15
2. Subjection to authority, Romans 12:1-2
3. To educate, to develop or train,
4. To bring under control, Luke 9:57-62
The Christian must learn to bring self under control, Galatians 2:20
Lack of discipline means a lack of consecration to God.
There are 3 places we need to apply discipline today.
I. Disciplined Heart
The heart needs to be:
a. Matthew 5:8
a. Proverbs 3:5
II. Disciplined Habits
Like the life of a soldier; 2 Timothy 2:3-4
1. Daily habits: Galatians 5:16, the only way to have good habits is to walk in the Spirit.
2. Dedicated habits
a. A soldier leaves his family, Luke 14:26
b. A soldier is willing to be wounded and to suffer for his country.
c. A soldier will die for his country, Mark 8:35
3. Determined habits; Daniel 1:8, because Daniel determined not to defile himself, he changed his whole life, and the lives of others.
III. Disciplined Head
The mind, if Satan controls the mind, he controls the person’s life.
2. Controlled mind, Proverbs 6:32, ruling the Spirit.
3. Cleansed mind, Psalm 51:2 as a person thinks so is he.
4. Consecrated mind; Psalm 19:14
IV. Closing; Is Your Life Lived with Discipline?
1. Discipline will bring you closer to God.
2. Discipline is demanding and hard to practice
3. Discipline must be done continually, not a onetime thing.
4. What keeps you from being saved today?
5. What keeps you from serving today? Could it be a lack of discipline?
6. Very well-disciplined man: Abraham
7. No Discipline: Lot