Summary: Genesis 2:18-25. Discover God’s design for marriage from the account of the creation of Eve.
IN THE BEGINNING
GENESIS PART 1 – ANTEDILUVIAN HISTORY
THE DOCTRINE OF MARRIAGE PART 1: ONE MAN, ONE WOMAN, ONE LIFETIME
- Earlier this month, the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America held its national convention. The convention was held in Minneapolis, MN. The purpose of the convention, as with any denomination’s convention, was to gather to discuss and organize different happenings in the denomination. Often times denominational leaders are voted on, programs are introduced, etc.
- There was one topic of discussion that was drawing a lot of attention. On the Desiring God website, which posted an article about the event I’m about to share with you, it says: According to the ELCA’s printed convention schedule, at 2 PM on Wednesday, August 19, the 5th session of the convention was to begin. The main item of the session: “Consideration: Proposed Social Statement on Human Sexuality.” The issue is whether practicing homosexuality is a behavior that should disqualify a person from the pastoral ministry.
- On August 19, 2009 at 2 o’clock in the afternoon, this Lutheran denomination was to debate not only the question of the morality of homosexuality, but also whether or not practicing homosexuals could serve in leadership roles in Lutheran churches. Listen to an eyewitness account of what occurred on that day (this is also from Desiring God): On a day when no severe weather was predicted or expected...a tornado forms, baffling the weather experts—most saying they’ve never seen anything like it. It happens right in the city. The city: Minneapolis. The tornado happens on a Wednesday...during the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America’s national convention in the Minneapolis Convention Center. The convention is using Central Lutheran across the street as its church. The church has set up tents around it’s building for this purpose. This curious tornado touches down just south of downtown and follows 35W straight towards the city center. It crosses I94. It is now downtown. The time: 2PM. The first buildings on the downtown side of I94 are the Minneapolis Convention Center and Central Lutheran. The tornado severely damages the convention center roof, shreds the tents, breaks off the steeple of Central Lutheran, splits what’s left of the steeple in two...and then lifts.
- What in the world was going on there? I believe, along with others who had seen or heard of the event, that God was providing a warning not just to the Lutheran church, but to all churches: Do not condone what Scripture condemns. Now natural disasters occur in all sorts of places and affect all sorts of people; Bible believing, born again Christians included. So a natural disaster happening does not automatically translate into an act of God’s judgment.
- But we believe in a God who controls the tiniest details of this universe. The wind and the waves still obey the voice of the Savior. What seems like happenstance to others is God’s sovereignty and providence at work to us. And as we are going to see today during our look at Genesis: God is concerned with the purity of human sexuality. He is concerned with the sanctity of marriage. I think God made his “vote” very clear on that August day. And more importantly, he is certainly clear in Scripture. There is no doubt about what God has to say about marriage in the Bible. Let’s take a look at the very first marriage ceremony as we continue our look at Genesis.