Summary: Since fruitfulness is dependant on sharing the word we must understand the dynamics of the word or we will be intimidated by the opposition.
Sermon. “The Dynamics of Fruitfulness” Mark 4:21-34
Spurgeon Said, WHEN that which comes of his sowing is unfruitful, the sower’s work is wasted: he has spent his strength for nothing. Without fruit the sower’s work would even seem to be insane, for he takes good wheat, throws it away, and loses it in the ground.
Yet we are called to be faithful sowers of the word. We might be frighted or intimidated into not taking the good seed we have been given and putting it to work if we do not understand how the word works in the world. we have to understand:
Since fruitfulness is dependant on sharing the word, we must understand the dynamics of the word. They are:
review what is fruitfulness.
To sum up, fruit includes: (1) a Christlike character, (2) a life characterized by good works, (3) a faithful witness, (4) a pair of lips that praise God, and (5) a generous giving of one’s money.
I. 1. The Purpose of the Word v.v. 21-23
A. The word brings Illumination.
1. Just as light is meant to fill a room and not be hidden the word of God is meant to give light to men and women.
b. It illuminates humanities circumstances.
c. It illuminates humanities problems.
d. It illuminates God’s solution to the problem.
(1) John 8:12 When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
(2) John 9:5 While I am in the world, I am the light of the world."
2. The word reveals that which is hidden.
a. Proverbs 20:27 ¶ The lamp of the LORD searches the spirit of a man; it searches out his inmost being.
b. Quote H. W. Shaw “It is not only the most difficult thing to know oneself, but the most inconvenient one, too.”
c. The main problem is that people really do not want to know the truth about themselves.
(1) “Tell me lies tell me sweet little lies” is theme song of the age.
d. Many times we don’t know ourselves and we really don’t care to know the truth about us.
e. The word of Christ comes into our lives it
(1) convictions us .
f. The word opens people up to the truth that they have been hiding.
(1) The word exposes hidden motives of people.
(2) The word exposes hidden sins.
B. We will know the Usefulness of the word.
1. A. Some hide it because of busyness - "bushel" -
4:21. A bushel basket contained two gallons
and was a work implement. It measured dry goods.
2. B. Some hide it because of laziness - "bed" -
4:21. It takes effort to stand alone. There
is a price to receive truth. See Proverbs
3. C. Some hide it because of fear - 4:22. Truth
can only be suppressed temporarily - one day it
will come out.
C. We will know the potential of the word.
1. 10 As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, 11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. (Isaiah 55:10-11 NIVUS)
D. We should give the word it proper place in our lives.
1. You give light the place of prominence the truth about Jesus should also have the place of prominence.
a. It should define us.
b. It means that we must believe and respond to the message.
2. We are like light house operators the good we do is the prominence that we give the light we have been given to shine out.
3. Philippians 2:14 ¶ Do everything without complaining or arguing,15 so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe Philippians 2:16 as you hold out the word of life— in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing.
II. 2. The Proportions of the Word. v.v. 24-25
A. The principle of Sowing and reaping.
1. The more you sow the more you will reap.
B. It will reward our efforts.
C. If we do not put it to work we will loose it.
1. This is true in the lives of Churches
2. This is true in the lives of individuals.
III. 3. The Propensity of the Word. v.v. 26-29