Summary: A faithful response to God’s call on our lives
The Faith of One…
I. God’s Call
A. God chose Abram, not the other way around.
1. God called Abram away from his entire security system.
2. He called Abram from among idolators
B. He called Abram to a place he had never seen.
1. God’s call could have allowed Abram to stay with his family, but God always “sets us apart.”
2. He could have let Abram stay, but his family would have been a constant temptation to him.
C. His call to us is no different from this call.
1. God called Abram, not for Abram’s glory, but for God’s glory.
2. When we leave our sin behind, we are always bettter off due to an improved relationship with God.
3. God always demands we give up ourselves for Him in faith.
4. Jesus is the perfect example of this selfless following in faith.
II. Abram’s Faith and Obedience
A. v.4 – So Abram left…
B. This simple statement communicates volumes – Abram didn’t question the will of God.
C. Abram’s family may have hated him because he represented security to them as well. – Matthew 10:34-36 – Jesus says “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn ‘a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law – a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’”
D. Faith is a gift of God – Romans 10:17 – Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. – Faith comes when we take God at His word!
III. God’s Promise
A. God takes responsibilty for the outcome if only we obey him in faith
B. God’s promise is sevenfold
1. I will make you into a great nation
2. I will bless you
3. I will make your name great
4. You will be a blessing
5. I will bless those who bless you
6. Whoever curses you I will curse
7. All peoples will be blessed through you.
C. The reward (Canaan or Heaven) always follows obedience through faith
1. We are saved by grace through faith.
2. Through Abram, we have a Gospel and a Saviour. Our faith is built on the foundation of faith laid by Abram.
D. Abram believed God and set out on his journey toward Canaan. We journey toward Heaven in the the same way. Trusting that God will provide our security.
E. God never promises there won’t be trouble, He simply promises that we can overcome it if we trust in Him.
1. John 16:33 – Jesus says “I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”