Summary: Because our Heavenly Father is a supernatural, prayer-answering God, people who are a part of God’s family will pray for miracles.
THE FAMILY OF GOD #3: PRAYING FOR MIRACLES
INTRO TO THE BOOK OF ACTS:
“The former account I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, until the day in which He was taken up, after He through the Holy Spirit had given commandments to the apostles whom He had chosen, to whom He also presented Himself alive after His suffering by many infallible proofs, being seen by them during forty days and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God.” (Acts 1:1-3, NKJV).
• Acts is the second part of a two volume work by Luke the beloved physician (Col. 4:14).
• The Gospel of Luke chronicled all that Jesus BEGAN to do and teach.
• Therefore, the Book of Acts continues telling the story of what Jesus did and taught – through the church! (quote Acts 10:38).
• “Then He called His twelve disciples together and gave them power and authority over all demons, and to cure diseases. He sent them to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.” (Luke 9:1-2, NKJV).
• “And when He had called His twelve disciples to Him, He gave them power over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all kinds of sickness and all kinds of disease… And as you go, preach, saying, 'The kingdom of heaven is at hand.' Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give.” (Matt. 10:1,7-8, NKJV).
• Jesus was in essence saying to His disciples, “I want you to go do the stuff I did!”
THE BIG IDEA: Because our Heavenly Father is a supernatural, prayer-answering God, people who are a part of God’s family will pray for miracles.
QUOTE: “It is abnormal for a Christian not to have an appetite for the impossible. It has been written into our spiritual DNA to hunger for the impossibilities around us to bow at the name of Jesus.” (Bill Johnson, When Heaven Invades Earth).
“And through the hands of the apostles many signs and wonders were done among the people. And they were all with one accord in Solomon’s Porch. Yet none of the rest dared join them, but the people esteemed them highly. And believers were increasingly added to the Lord, multitudes of both men and women, so that they brought the sick out into the streets and laid them on beds and couches, that at least the shadow of Peter passing by might fall on some of them. Also a multitude gathered from the surrounding cities to Jerusalem, bringing sick people and those who were tormented by unclean spirits, and they were all healed.” (Acts 5:12-16).
• Notice that Peter was so filled with the Holy Spirit that even his shadow healed people!
HOW DO WE SEE MORE MIRACLES IN OUR LIVES?
1. SPEND TIME WITH JESUS IN THE SECRET PLACE:
“Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated and untrained men, they marveled. And they realized that they had been with Jesus.” (Acts 4:13).
• Why did the church in Acts see many miracles? They spent time in the secret place!
“But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.” (Matt. 6:6).
• Testimonies of season in the secret place – that’s when we saw miracles!
“I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing… If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.” (John 15:5,7).
• As we abide in Jesus in the secret place of prayer, we will be filled with His presence.
JEHU – PROPEHETIC WORD:
Read 2 Kings 9:1-6:
• Make him rise up from his associates (separation and sanctification)
• Take him to an inner room (the secret place of prayer)
• Anoint him with oil (the Holy Spirit)
2. PRAY FOR MIRACLES:
“Now, Lord, look on their threats, and grant to Your servants that with all boldness they may speak Your word, by stretching out Your hand to heal, and that signs and wonders may be done through the name of Your holy Servant Jesus.” (Acts 4:29-30).
• The early church prayed for miracles, and they saw lots of them.
• We need to pray for them. If we don’t ask, we won’t receive!
• Persevere: P.U.S.H. in your prayers: Pray Until Something Happens!
• Pray with other believers: Jesus said: “If two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.” (Matt. 18:19-20).