Summary: God commands an angel to be sent from Heaven to unleash locusts with a horrifying purpose, but still mankind continues to rebel against Him. Christians today have a mission to tell others about Christ, and once again we see the urgency to do so!
The Fifth Trumpet
Revelation, Part 10, Revelation 9:1-10
- The pause in time is Heaven actually holding its breath!
-- APP: The awe of God’s power is breath-taking to Heaven’s inhabitants
-- This also allows the earth to think about what it has done; consequences!
-- Even today, your (our) actions have consequences we must consider
- FACT: The first six seals bring about horrible judgment to all of the earth
-- Now humans are given one more option to think about their mortality
- Last time, we went through the first four trumpets in Chapter 8
-- Concluding with an angel flying about the skies proclaiming that the last three trumpets will be the worst ever!
-- This sounding of the trumpets signifies that God’s wrath has begun
-- Those that are here have another chance to repent and turn to the Lord.
- God’s grace is STILL available today; if only we would submit to Him
- Tonight’s lesson is factual, and terrifying at the same time …
Read Revelation 9:1-10
Ω Point 1 – The Fifth Trumpet - Locusts (v1-4)
A star falls
- After the fifth angels sounds John sees a star fallen from heaven to earth
-- IMP: One of the hardest aspects in understanding Revelation is distinguishing between metaphor, literalism, and symbolism
- In Revelation 8 the word was used in a literal sense (ex: an asteroid)
-- However, here the word “Star” is used in a metaphorical sense
-- Like a “Movie Star”
-- Example: In Revelation 12:4, angels are referred to symbolically as “Stars” being cast (or sent) to earth
- Some have said that this angel is a Satan, since we see a star “Fallen”
-- The meaning here is one of descent to accomplish the task assigned
-- This is not a fallen angel (or fallen in position)
- The star from heaven is given a key to the bottomless pit
-- This angel from Heaven has authority to open the bottomless pit
-- It is important to understand that this star is commanded by God
- Notice that this angel has a key. A key is the source of authority.
-- This same angel maintains the key of the bottomless pit during tribulation
-- In Revelation 20:1-2, this same angel takes hold of Satan and binds for 1000 years in the same bottomless pit
-- Rev 20:1 says, “Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, having the key to the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.”
- Notice where these locusts come from: they come from the Bottomless pit
-- Hades is where the un-saved go after death (Luke 16:23, “In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side”)
-- The “Abyss” seems to ALSO be prison for demonic beings
-- For example: The demons dwelling in the man from Gadarenes, called “Legion” begged Jesus not to send them to the abyss before their time
- John reports what he sees, to the reader …
-- The smoke rising corresponds to the events taking place in the fourth trumpet, when the darkness (Revelation. 8:12-13) blocked a third of the Sun, moon and stars.
-- APP: Notice how all things tie together in God’s Word, and John is seeing a continual vision of future events.
-- During this period, the volcanic smoke from underneath the earth signals the visible signs of this judgment.
Ω Locusts came from the smoke
- John describes a type of “Locusts” which are unlike any being yet known
-- These have one purpose and function: to torment humanity
-- The question is, are these locusts in the physical or spiritual realm?
- In Revelation John describes the physical and spiritual realms.
-- His descriptions offer vivid pictures in both realms – making it easier for us to understand the importance of spreading God’s Word to this world.
- IMP: We really need to get this in our soul – the judgments coming upon this Earth can be avoided – but they are coming on those who deny Jesus.
- John compares their effect on mankind to that of a scorpion.
-- Scorpion stings can cause death, but are more painful than deadly
- These “locusts” are commanded and have a leader over them
-- This lends argument to them being both spiritual and physical in nature
-- These locusts are able to discern those who need punishing and those who do not (those who are saved or sealed)
-- APP: We do not want to wait to be sealed … nor have our family and friends wait to be sealed
The seal of God
- The identity of those sealed would include the 144,000 and those who have come to Christ during this period of the tribulation.