Summary: How to be filled with the Spirit of Christ!
THE GREATEST UNUSED POWER IN THE WORLD!
The Doctrine of the Holy Ghost (4)
1. We have discovered some interesting truths about the Holy Ghost of God so far:
a. Falsehoods about the Holy Ghost
b. Facts about the Holy Ghost
c. Functions of the Holy Ghost
d. Figures of the Holy Ghost
2. We must remember to thank God frequently for His Spirit, which He has placed within every believer!
3. We need also, not only to understand the previous doctrines about the Holy Ghost; every Christian needs to seek:
I. The Filling of the Holy Ghost (Ephesians 5:18-19)
• Of the many teachings of the work of the Holy Ghost, none is more vital to the Christian’s growth and spirituality than the filling of the Holy Ghost.
• The filling is how He helps us to control our behavior and manifests Himself through us!
• The word of God divides believers into two classifications (I Corinthians 3:1):
• Carnal—a person controlled by fleshly desires.
• Spiritual—the person controlled by the Holy Ghost; he lives according to the dictates and power of the Spirit.
• They are opposites!
A. The Command to Be Filled
1. It is present—continuing action—“keep on being filled, over and over again!”
2. It is passive—something we cannot do or manufacture.
3. It is a command—something we can pursue and obey.
4. God would not command us to do something we have no control over whatsoever.
5. It means we are responsible for being filled with the Spirit!
6. The meaning is that we are under the influence or control of the Holy Ghost.
7. It is conditional—to be filled with the Spirit means to be empty of all else!
B. The Conditions for Being Filled
1. Seeking (Ephesians 5:18)
• When God commands us to do something, He expects us to seek after it!
2. Surrender (Romans 6:19-22)
a. Again, you cannot fill a vessel with water, if it is already full of something else!
b. If you want the infilling of the Holy Ghost in your life, you must surrender everything that is in your heart, soul, and mind.
c. We must surrender ourselves to obey every dictate of Christ!
d. Another word which expresses the same idea is the word “yield.”
2. Separation (II Timothy 2:19-21)
a. Remember, the Holy Ghost is Holy!
b. We must separate from that which is un-Holy.
c. We must be willing to give up anything that hinders the Spirit’s working in our lives!
d. Separate from whatever is hindering you from being Spirit-filled!
a. I do not believe you can be spiritual apart from the word of God!
b. It is the “sword of the Spirit.”
c. It was inspired by the Spirit.
e. We must get into the Bible and devour it on a daily basis!
C. The Consequences of Being Filled (Ephesians 5:18)
2. Submitting (Ephesians 5:21)
3. Soul-winning (Acts 1:8; 4:31)—with power!
1. Many preachers have made the observation that if the Holy Spirit ever were taken out of the world, most churches would go on with their activities and programs!