Summary: How did the church grow? By what means did the church grow?
Change the packaging and people will come
(Bassed On A John MacArthur Message)
The new packaging is all about replacement
True Or False - Do we need a:.
• A ‘stage’ with a moveable acrylic glass lectern replaces the old wooden pulpit.
• PowerPoint graphics replace the hymn books.
• A rock band replaces the organ.
• A casually dressed and jovial audience replaces the reverent congregation.
• A charming minister in a t-shirt and jeans replaces the suited ‘preacher’.
• Fun replaces holiness as the tone of the service.
• Loud music,
• Side-splitting drama,
• Multimedia presentations
• Humorous ‘talk’ replace hymn singing and preaching.
Find out what would impress the nonchurched in your community then give it to them
- A good salesman knows you always start with the customer’s needs, not the product.
- Discover what a sinner wants out of life and give it to him ‘in Jesus’
We need to ask:
- How did the Church Grow?
- By what means did the Church Grow?
- It started with 120
Acts 1:15 (AV)
15 And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples, and said, (the number of names together were about an hundred and twenty,)
- Ch. 2 - On the day of Pentecost
- Preached Jesus – death v.23 Resurrection v.24
Acts 2:41 (AV)
41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
- Believer's actions
- Acts 2:42 (AV)
42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
- Spiritual practices - prayer, bible reading, and relationship with Christ & One another
Acts 2:46–47 (AV)
46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,
47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.
- Response of the believers in Acts
Acts 4:4 (AV)
4 Howbeit many of them which heard the word believed; and the number of the men was about five thousand.
Acts 5:14 (AV)
14 And believers were the more added to the Lord, multitudes both of men and women.)
Acts 6:7 (AV)
7 And the word of God increased; and the number of the disciples multiplied in Jerusalem greatly; and a great company of the priests were obedient to the faith.
Acts 9:31 (AV)
31 Then had the churches rest throughout all Judaea and Galilee and Samaria, and were edified; and walking in the fear of the Lord, and in the comfort of the Holy Ghost, were multiplied.
Acts 12:24 (AV)
24 But the word of God grew and multiplied.
Acts 16:5 (AV)
5 And so were the churches established in the faith, and increased in number daily.
Acts 17:12 (AV)
12 Therefore many of them believed; also of honourable women which were Greeks, and of men, not a few.
Acts 19:20 (AV)
20 So mightily grew the word of God and prevailed.
Acts 28:31 (AV)
31 Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him.
How Did The Church Grow So Rapidly?
1.) The Church Preached Jesus
- No matter the background, culture, status, location
- Cut through the 100's of beliefs
- Amazing story of God becoming a man
- From lowly birth to the cross & resurrection
2.) The Church Lived In The Transforming Power of Christ
- Understanding the deadliness of sin
- No hope of escape
- Realizing the reality of Christ
- Loving prayer, commu'nion, worship, praise
- Devoting yourself to the truth of the Word
- Living in obedience
- In fellowship, kindness, joy, peace, & generosity
- Church today does not allow the HS to work
Romans 12:1–2 (AV)
1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
3.) The Church Thrived In Holy Living
- 50 Shades of Grey, based on the best-selling book. In this film and book, a playboy named Christian Grey enters into a relationship with Anastasia Steele. Grey sexually uses and abuses Movie full of sex, nudity, domination, and sadomasochism
- The church grows when it is pure
- Ac. 5 - Contrasted with Ananias & Sapphira
- Results impacted the church
Acts 5:10 (AV)
10 Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her orth, buried her by her husband.