Summary: Subject: Friend Central Theme: Who is the friend of God? Objective: Every person should become the friend of God because of God’s Qualities.
July 14, 2002 Friend Day AM
Central Theme: Who is the friend of God?
Objective: Every person should become the friend of God because of God’s Qualities.
Introduction: I love these friend days that we have. This is our second annual Friend Day. This is especially a great day because we get to use our fiberglass baptistry for the first time.
This past few weeks leading up to friend day, I have been thinking about some of my past and present friends. I look back and I can say I’ve had some terrific friends. I can also look back and say that I’ve had some lousy friends.
I hope you all have great friends. If you are a guest this morning then I know you have some great friends. It takes a great friend to invite someone to church.
I want to read two passages of scripture.
READ Proverbs 18:24 “A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.”
Like I said earlier, I’ve been thinking about friendships and friends. John 15 tells us that we can be the FOG (Friend of God). Why would someone want to be the friend of God? Does He have the qualities that I desire in a friendship? Lets take a look at scripture to find out.
Quality 1. Dependability
[Illustration: Stephen Frank was one of my good friends in High School. We did much together. He was a straight arrow type of guy. Although we were not “best” friends, Stephen will always remind me of dependability. Stephen and I were involved in many things together at school. We worked in student government. We were in ROTC together. We even worked at the same place. In fact, he got me my job at Taco Bell.
If Stephen committed himself to something, you didn’t have to worry about it. He proved himself dependable in all that he did.
I’ll always have fond memories of Stephen. We never kept in touch after High School. I became a Christian, and Stephen went on a two year missions trip with the Mormon Church.]
A. I want dependability in my friendships.
1. It is a quality that I desire.
2. Because I desire it, I must practice it. Proverbs says that a person must show himself friendly. Well, I must practice the friendly qualities I want in others.
B. God has demonstrated dependability.
1. God was dependable to show me my sins.
a) A good friend will tell you that you have something on your teeth.
b) In the same way, God tell us where we come short of His glory.
2. God was dependable to send a savior.
3. God was dependable to raise the savior from the dead.
4. God was dependable to save my soul from hell.
C. Other traits about dependability.
1. God never lies. What he says, He will do.
2. He has promised to judge the world in righteousness.
3. He has promised to cast the wicked into hell.
4. He has promised to finish what he started.
5. He has promised to come again.
[Dependability is a trait I desire in my friendships, God has proven Himself dependable.]
Quality 2: He’s there for you.
[Illustration: There was a point in my life about eight years ago that I thought my world was going to fall apart all around me. It was like someone hit me over the head with a sledge hammer. I learned something that was devastating to me.
Where could I go, who could I turn to? I thought of a friend. I went to him. I cried as he gave me a hug. I poured out my soul to him and he listened.
If it wasn’t for that friend, I would not be standing here today. That is a fact! I’m thankful that I had a friend who was there for me when I needed him.]
A. I want this quality in my friendships.
1. A friend sticks closer than a brother.
2. I want a friend that will be there for me when I need him.
B. I have to have this quality in my life if I want to attract this kind of friend.
1. Behave how you want others to behave.
C. God is there for you.
1. It’s been said that God is just a prayer away.
a) That’s true, but he is also right here right now.
2. God is faithful in all things.
a) He began a good work in me. He will finish the good work unto the day of Jesus Christ.
3. When this world comes and dumps on you big time. God is there for you.
4. When everyone runs out, God runs in.