Summary: What is the foundation for Joy? - Joy & rejoicing found in Philippians 18x. - Paul's focus is upon Christ 38x in Philippians - Certainly it can't be a servant/slave?
- The Coming Global Storm
- Jesus prophecies are about to be fulfilled
- NASA, NOAA Proclaim 2014 Hottest Year On Record
- Senseless violence (NYPD Shooting, France, Belgium, Boko Haram in Nigeria)
- Deadly Shooting At Florida Mall
- A young Bonnie & Clyde running wild across state lines
- New Jersey woman set her newborn baby on fire in the middle of the road
- Supreme Court about to bring in Sodomey into the country (politically correct "Same Sex")
- Godliness rampant
- God is being deleted from our lives
- Prophesied in Mt 24-25, Mk 12, Lk 21
- In all the headlines is there any joy?
- Note where the house was built in Mt. 7:23
- It was the foundation
- You could have an architect draw the most creative plans for a spacious dwelling.
- Order the finest construction materials available.
- Hire the most skilled craftsmen to build your home.
- Install the latest appliances and electronic systems throughout the house.
-Decorate it with the finest furniture.
- But if it’s all resting on a faulty foundation, you’re wasting your money.
- What is the foundation for Joy?
- Joy & rejoicing found in Philippians 18x.
- Paul's focus is upon Christ 38x in Philippians
- Certainly it can't be a servant/slave
- Paul Called himself δουλος, doulos - a slave
- KJV servant
- Servant – One who voluntarily gives himself up to another's will
- Servant can be paid for his service
- Leave whenever he wants
- Slave is owned by another
- No freedom
- Totally depended upon the owner
- Greeks hated slavery
- Here in Philippians Paul calls himself a slave
- Greeks had a strong sense of freedom
- Their deep desire was freedom
- Star-Spangled banner rings out "O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave, O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?"
- This is America's cry
We All Serve Someone
- To a servant of sin
John 8:34 (AV)
34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.
- To a servant of self
Romans 8:8 (AV)
8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
Romans 8:8 (NCV)
8 Those people who are ruled by their sinful selves cannot please God.
Philippians 2:3–4 (AV)
3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.
4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
The Road To Slavery:
- By Conquest:- Sin has conquered us, so that
we are not free to do what we know is right
- By Birth:- We have been born with a nature
that is hostile toward God and oriented toward pleasing self.
- Because of Debt:- We have run up an
unpayable debt toward God who states that the wages of our sin is death.
- We rationalize sin
- It gives the illusion of right but evaporates as a soap bubble
- Sin robs our joy
- Sin hardens our life
- Sin makes us stubborn & unforgiving
- Sin despises the blood of Christ
- Sin thinks little of cost of the cross
- We come to the point that we don't care as long as we can have life our way
- How can giving away your personal freedom give you joy?