Summary: Self-control is a wonderful fruit to have in your life.
• SLIDE #1
• Have you ever watched some of the survivor shows on television? Survivor? Survivor Man (Nutty guy)? Castaway? Robinson Caruso?
• It seems like if the people are on certain islands, there always seems to be coconuts available to them.
• Look at this coconut; it does not look very appetizing does it? Who was the first person to think about opening up one of these to eat?
• I like coconuts, but they are not the easiest fruit to get to or to open up.
• Usually these coconuts are up high in coconut trees, making them hard to get to.
• Now once you get to the fruit, the fun begins. Trying to open one of those coconuts is not an easy task if you do not have the right tools to open it. If you try to smash it, the sweet milk inside spills out on the ground. It has been quite comical watching people on these shows trying to get at the milk and the inside of a coconut.
• SLIDE #2
• Once you are able to crack one open, the work is worth it. Coconut cream pie, coconut dream pie blizzard time!
• Today we are going to talk about a fruit that just may be the hardest or one of the hardest for us to get to. It may be one of the hardest for us to crack open.
• The great thing about the fruit of self-control is once you get it open, you will reap the wonderful milk inside.
• This fruit of self-control is a fruit that opens many great things to us in life. What this fruit will do for every area of your life is a wonderful blessing waiting to happen!
• Today we will finish up our series on the fruit of the Spirit with an examination of the fruit of Self-Control. This fruit is one that will be worth the effort to obtain!
• SLIDE #3
I. THE FRUIT OF SELF-CONTROL.
• Once again, we need to begin with the basics, let us first define what self-control is.
• SLIDE #4
1. Defining self-control.
• The meaning in the original means: “to grip” or to “take hold of.”
• This word describes a person who is willing to get a grip on their lives ad take control of areas that will bring them success or failure.
• It is the power to keep oneself in check.
• It is the quality that gives victory over fleshly desires.
• Commentator William Barclay has a couple of comments worth noting pertaining to self-control.
• Plato uses of self-mastery. It is the spirit which has mastered its desires and its love of pleasure. It is used of the athlete’s discipline of his body (1 Corinthians 9:25) and of the Christian’s mastery of sex (1 Corinthians 7:9). Secular Greek uses it of the virtue of an Emperor who never lets his private interests influence the government of his people. It is the virtue which makes a man so master of himself that he is fit to be the servant of others. (William Barclay)
• He further states: Self-control is that great quality which comes to a man when Christ is in his heart, that quality which makes him able to live and to walk in the world, and yet to keep his garments unspotted from the world.
• SLIDE #6
• Proverbs 25:28 (GWT) 28Like a city broken into andleft without a wall, so is a person who lacks self-control.