Summary: In order to be right with God, we must be right with our brethren. In order to be right with our brethren, we must be right with God. Therefore, we need to love one another.
Intro: 1. “I am somebody” (1 Cor 1 - God made nobodies sombodies)
2. That is the thought for our text (Mt 5:3, 10)
a. Jesus went up on the mountain
b. Expounds on the torah for the kingdom
3. Exod 21-23 - Just like the covenant code, relationships are prominent
4. Jesus explanation on Mt 5:17 - To “fulfill” or “make full” the law and prophets
(Mt 13:48; 23:32; Ax 5:3 - other uses of word to “fill”
I. The fullness on righteousness (5:20-24)
A. Righteousness must surpass scribes and pharisees
1. How? They are the pious or separated ones
2. According to Josephus, they were highly respected
B. Jesus ties righteousness with relationships
1. Torah said don’t commit murder - How did Jesus make this full?
2. Don’t be “angry” with your brother
a. Eph 4:26 - Be angry and yet do not sin, do not let the son
go down on your anger, and do not give the devil an opportunity
b. Does not say be angry with brother and sin not
3. Don’t insult your brother
a. I’ve seen this online and in so called sound journals
b. Serious enough to go to hell over this
4. Is it righteous to criticize song leaders, whisper about the
elders, run down the preacher and talke about the deacons?
a. I’m not angry, I’m not insulting (to their face)
b. Then go around whispering and talking about someone
C. Skit - “We are one in the spirit”
1. Church in Texas - Fist fight over matters of doctrine
2. I was threatened by a member at a church in Arkansas
3. One church split after a member shot another in Arkansas
4. See a problem here? In the interest of sound doctrine!!!
D. Jesus’ prerequesite for approaching God (v.23-24)
1. Cannot be right with God and not be right with brother
2. Isa 1 - God rejected worship due to bad relationships
3. Relationship with God is not merely vertical, it is triangular
4. Can’t “slide” in and out of fellowship any more than in marriage
5. Worship not acceptable if strife with brother
E. Maybe this is why Jesus said, blessed are peacemakers
II. The fullness on being children of God (5:43-48)
A. Blessed are the peacemakers, shall be called sons of God
B. This passage teaches that love is universal
1. Love enemies, pray for persecutors
2. God’s love higher than worldly love (46-47)
3. Reason to love (v.45, 48) - Be as God is to others
4. We are “children” of God - We are to be “like our Father”
C. Val and abusive father (didn’t “feel” like forgiving and loving)
1. Do something to “demonstrate” love and forgiveness
2. Become what you repeatedly do
D. Are you like your Father when it comes to love?
1. Do you love enemies and pray for them?
2. In this text, it is ASSUMED that we love our brethren.
3. Do you love YOUR BRETHREN and pray for them?
a. I Jn 2:9-11 - Not loving is darkness
b. I Jn 3:14-20 - Sign of Christian - Love
E. ILL: Blackouts in Korea/ Depression where sun not shine
- How dark or bright are we??
- Am I personally walking in the light by loving?
- If so, congraduations, you are a child of God
III. The Fullness on forgiveness and relationships (7:1-5)
A. Mt 5:7 - Blessed are merciful, they shall receive mercy