Summary: Asenath would have been raised in deep paganism and deep spiritual darkness.
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
Feb, 2nd 2014
The Gentile Bride
Intro: life/Joseph/amazing story/providence/power/Almighty God.
• Favorite son/Jacob/Betrayed/brothers/sold into slavery.
As a slave, Joseph demonstrates a godly testimony in the face of tragedy and temptation.
• Joseph is falsely accused of a crime/Thrown into prison.
Even/Egyptian prison, Joseph display/clear/consistent testimony of faith.
• As Joseph languishes in that prison
• Up in the palace, Pharaoh has/dream/could not interpret.
• Joseph is remembered and released from the prison.
• He interprets Pharaoh’s dream
• Pharaoh elevates Joseph.
• Removes him/prison/makes him Prime Minister of Egypt.
We arrive/text, Joseph/exalted/position/great power/authority.
• Given Pharaoh’s ring/dressed/finest cloths/land.
• Given an expensive gold chain.
Everywhere he goes; the Egyptian people bow before Joseph and honor him for his position and his power.
• Slave/become/sovereign ruler
All this took place/life because/Unseen Hand of divine providence.
Our text tells us that immediately after Joseph was exalted to his new position he was given a bride.
• Soon after/family was born to Joseph/in Egypt.
• Take our time today to consider Joseph’s Gentile Bride.
• Woman/given/Joseph I see/wonderful picture/Bride of Christ.
study/Genesis/three brides stand out as types/Bride of Christ.
Let me share them with you now.
Eve – picture Creation/Church.
• Adam/placed/deep sleep/God removed a rib from his side
• Eve was formed from this rib.
Church/formed/Jesus died/cross and His side was opened for us.
• We are a product of His sacrificial love.
Rebekah – picture Calling/church.
• Abraham’s servant found her/pagan land
• Called her come be the bride of Isaac.
• They asked her, “Will you go with this man?” she“I will go!”
• Left her old life behind and set out with the servant.
It was a long journey, through a harsh land, but the servant was with her to encourage her along the way.
Eventually he brought her Isaac/they were married in his home.
• Church was also brought out of a pagan land.
• Holy Spirit came to us and called to come to Jesus.
• We accepted His invitation by faith and set out a journey to meet the Bridegroom.
• The way is hard and rough, but the Comforter is ever with us to guide us, encourage us and bless us.
One day, we will reach the end of the journey and we will meet our Bridegroom, the Lord Jesus Christ in His home in Heaven.
Asenath – picture/Coronation/church
• Became bride/man who was brought out a time of humiliation.
• Her husband was exalted/she was exalted along with Him.
• She/brought out/obscurity and made to live in a fine palace.