Summary: Series in Romans
Text: Romans 5:12-21
Title: The Gift and the Guilt
Romans 5:12-21 12 Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned-- 13 for until the Law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law. 14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over those who had not sinned in the likeness of the offense of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come. 15 But the free gift is not like the transgression. For if by the transgression of the one the many died, much more did the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abound to the many. 16 The gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned; for on the one hand the judgment arose from one transgression resulting in condemnation, but on the other hand the free gift arose from many transgressions resulting in justification. 17 For if by the transgression of the one, death reigned through the one, much more those who receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ. 18 So then as through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all men, even so through one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to all men. 19 For as through the one man’s disobedience the many were made sinners, even so through the obedience of the One the many will be made righteous. 20 The Law came in so that the transgression would increase; but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, 21 so that, as sin reigned in death, even so grace would reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
I. The Guilt
a. Passed down from Adam- v. 12
b. Sin entered the world- v. 12
c. Death entered the world- v.13-14
d. Judgment & Condemnation entered the world- v. 16, 18
e. The Law highlights our unrighteousness- v. 20
II. The Gift
a. Secured by Christ- v. 15
b. Offers justification- v. 16, 18
c. Offers new life- v. 17
d. Offers righteousness- v. 19
e. Grace highlights God’s righteousness- v. 20-21
This Thursday is Valentine’s Day. It’s always been one of my favorite holidays. It should be a fun, romantic holiday. As a public service to the guys, I’ve got a list of five things you should not get your Valentine. My hope is that by sharing this list I will keep some of you from disaster this Thursday.
5. Any card with a picture of a cow, pig, or horse on it. They’ll think it reminded you of them.
4. Don’t get her any article of clothing. If it’s too small you’ll be in trouble, and if its too big, you’ll be in even more trouble. Don’t take that chance.
3. Don’t get any kitchen appliance, a red blender still isn’t romantic.
2. Don’t get her an oversized stuffed animal. Even if you’re in a hurry and that’s all that’s left at the store, a six foot monkey holding a heart isn’t as romantic as you might think.
1. Don’t take her out to dinner at KFC, Burger King, or any other restaurant with a drive-through window. Class it up a little and take her to Denny’s.