Summary: This is not a gimmick. There are no hidden charges, No purchase necessary. It’s a free gift that actually is free.
We’re living in a day and time when one frequently receives a card in the mail, a message on the radio or a commercial on the television advertising “something for nothing”. Upon closer examination of the offer one usually finds it is a gimmick to get you to purchase something else or has hidden costs. An “offer you can’t refuse” might be:
· FREE TRIP (Doesn’t include airfare, hotel, food…).
· FREE CAR (If your name is chosen out of 100 million + Tax., Title, License….).
· FREE MEAL (If you buy the most expensive one on the menu besides).
· 50% OFF (If you spend at least $50,000.00).
I want to talk about an offer you mustn’t refuse. This is a free gift that is actually free---it has already been paid for and is reserved in your name.
1. THE PREREQUISITE OF THE GIFT: “For God so loved the world…”
A. God gave us a gift; He paid for it; He loves us.
B. “God commended His love for us…”--Romans 5:8
C. “He loved us”--Ephesians 2:4
D. “Not that we loved God, but He loved us”--1 John 4:10
E. We give gifts to those we love
1) Not always just Christmas, Birthday, etc.
2) Not size of gift but “The thought that counts”
3) I don’t give gifts to my enemies
2. THE PRECIOUSNESS OF THE GIFT: “that He gave His only begotten Son…”
A. God gave us His most precious commodity, His Son
1) Romans 8:32 “He that spared not His Own Son…”
2) 1 John 4:9 “God sent His only begotten Son into the world…”
B. God knew what was going to happen to His Son but He gave Him anyway: Rejection, Beating, Mocking, Scourging, Denial, Betrayal, and Crucifixion
C. God knew He would have to turn His back on His Son, but He gave Him anyway. 2 Corinthians 5:21
3. THE PERSONALIZATION OF THE GIFT “that whosoever believeth in Him…”
A. “Whosoever”: who ever---an emphatic form
1) Used 179 times in the Bible—means the same thing every time: “absolutely, positively, unconditionally anyone”
2) “That if [Billy Kryger] believeth….”
B. “Believeth”: [to have faith(in)] on Him (Jesus)
1) Trust + Nothing = Salvation
a) Acts 16:31 “Believe = saved”
b) Not Faith + Baptism, Church, Works
2) Definite Act
a) “I believe in God” The Devil does too!
b) “I’ve always been a Christian.” Haven’t always been born.
3) Believing = Receiving
a) Greek: “pisteuo” = Experimental Belief
b) I must take an aspirin to relieve my headache---not just believe that it will work.
c) John 1:12 “As many as received Him”
d) Christ is The Saviour; is He yours?
4. THE PERMANENCE OF THE GIFT “should not perish but have everlasting life.”
A. God is not an “indian giver”. He won’t take his gift of eternal life back because we become undeserving of it.
B. Everlasting life is just that; forever---then a day after.
1) John 3:15 “ETERNAL life”
2) 1 John 5:11 “ETERNAL life”
3) 1 John 5:13 “ETERNAL life”
4) John 3:36 “EVERLASTING life”
C. Illustration of eternity: Bird’s beak, water of world…
A. ILL] “John 3:16”
B. It’s also a PERFECT GIFT—no assembly required, no missing or damaged pieces…
A. Without Christ? Accept His free gift today, right now.
B. Saved? Give the gift that keeps on giving.