Summary: This is the 4th sermon in the series "Church On The Rocks". This is also the 2nd sermon in this "Christmas Series". This sermon looks at the gift that last forever.
Sunday Morning December 15, 2002 Bel Aire Baptist Church
Series: ¡§Church On The Rocks¡¨ (#4)[Christmas #2]
THE GIFT THAT LAST FOREVER
1. According to the commercial what is, ¡§The gift that last forever¡¨? Diamonds. For those of you that are like me, it is getting closer to that time when I have to get some gifts. Since I let my wife shop for everyone but herself I only have the responsibility of getting her gifts. Sounds easy, but what do you give to the person that you care so much for?
2. Christmas is a time of giving. God is the giver of the greatest gift ever given and He gave us this gift because He loves us so much.
3. Contrary to what the world says, the only gift that last forever is Jesus Christ. God¡¦s gift is offered to anyone who will accept it. You cannot earn this gift. You cannot buy this gift. It is a gift. All you must do is accept this gift.
4. How do you accept the gift that God has given us?
„« Know that you are a sinner.
„« Know the penalty of your sin.
„« Know the payment for your sin.
„« Know how to accept the gift.
Romans 10:9 ¡V13
5. If you have never accepted God¡¦s gift of salvation, would you like to today? Before we continue in our Sermon I would like to extend to you an invitation to accept God¡¦s gift to you.
[¡§Come Just As You Are¡¨] Mark
6. This morning¡¦s sermon is to show us as Christians how to share the greatest gift ever with others.
1. You need to know who the gift is for.
2. Who is the gift of salvation offered to?
3. When should you offer them the gift?
1. Most of the time, when I give a gift, I wrap it. The wrapping is a way of presenting the gift.
2. Does the wrapping change the gift? What happens to the wrapping after the gifts is unwrapped?
3. Often times when I tell others about this gift, it is with weakness, fear, and much trembling. God uses the power of the Holy Spirit within us to give us strength, boldness, and courage to tell others about the gift. The way you tell others is just the wrapping. Your nervousness and imperfections will not change the gift. Just be willing to tell others about the gift and let God do the rest.
1. When you present this gift understand that some will not accept it.
„« See they have other things that seem better. It¡¦s like a child getting a gift. Even if the child had no clothes at all, they would rather have a toy than clothes. What lost people need is Jesus. What lost people want is fun.
„« Others don¡¦t want the gift because they don¡¦t think there is room. Jesus was born in a cattle stall because there was no room for Him.
„« Others don¡¦t want the gift because they see no need. They can handle life on their own.
2. There will be some who handle the gift. They will shake it. They will guess at what¡¦s inside. They will ask questions. But, they will never unwrap the gift.
3. But, praise the Lord! Some will unwrap the gift and will experience the power of God upon their lives.