Summary: God wants us to discover and develop our spiritual gifts. This teaching is an overview of the gifts of the Holy Spirit in 1 Cor. 12 with a focus on prophecy and tongues.
DISCOVERING YOUR SPIRITUAL GIFTS #2: THE SUPERNATURAL GIFTS
“God has given gifts to each of you from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Manage them well so that God’s generosity can flow through you.” (1 Peter 4:10)
• EVERY Christian receives at least ONE spiritual gift.
THE BIG IDEA: God has given everyone spiritual gifts. Our job is to discover and develop those gifts so that we can be a blessing to others.
DISCOVERING YOUR SPIRITUAL GIFTS – WHAT ARE THEY?
“Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant…A spiritual gift is given to each of us as a means of helping the entire church.” (1 Cor. 12:1,7)
• Spiritual gifts are a God-given ability to do a TASK.
• It allows you to do the work of the ministry effectively – to help and BLESS others.
GIFTS FROM GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT:
“But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all; for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills” (1 Corinthians 12:7-11).
I. GIFTS OF REVELATION: POWER TO KNOW: beyond human knowledge
1. WORD OF WISDOM – A spiritual utterance supernaturally disclosing the mind, PURPOSE and way of God as applied to a specific situation
2. WORD OF KNOWLEDGE – A supernatural revelation of information pertaining to a person or event, given for a specific purpose, usually dealing with an immediate NEED
3. DISCERNING OF SPIRITS – The ability to discern the spirit world – whether something is DIVINE (God/angels), human (natural origin) or demonic (Satan/demons)
II. GIFTS OF POWER: POWER TO DO: beyond human ability
4. FAITH – A unique form of faith (not the faith that saves you) that supernaturally trusts and does not doubt concerning specific matters – to believe God for the IMPOSSIBLE
5. GIFTS OF HEALINGS – Those healings that God performs supernaturally
- accelerated mending – something would have taken time to heal God does
INSTANTLY - i.e. a broken arm.
6. WORKING OF MIRACLES – Manifestation of power beyond the ordinary course of natural law – something that could NEVER have been done naturally - i.e. a limb growing back.
III. GIFTS OF SPEAKING: POWER TO SPEAK: beyond natural talent
7. PROPHECY – A divine revealing of the spirit to encourage, exhort or COMFORT
8. DIFFERENT KINDS OF TONGUES – The gift of speaking supernaturally in a LANGUAGE not known to the individual
9. INTERPRETATION OF TONGUES – Bringing to light what is otherwise hidden
TEXT: “And it shall come to pass in the last days that I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, Your old men shall dream dreams, Your young men shall see visions.” (Joel 2:28).