Summary: THE GOD OF PAYBACKS WILL EXECUTE VENGEANCE IN ACCORDANCE WITH HIS TIMETABLE
THE GOD OF PAYBACKS WILL EXECUTE VENGEANCE
IN ACCORDANCE WITH HIS TIMETABLE
"Vengeance is mine", says the Lord
Paybacks can be Hell
I. (:1-7) THE JUDGE OF THE EARTH OPERATES ON HIS OWN TIMETABLE
A. (:1-3) The Righteous Grow Impatient
1. Demand Vengeance
a. Based on God’s character as Judge of the earth; as God of Vengeance
b. Based on the character of the proud = deserving of judgment
2. Question God’s Timetable
How can God continue to allow the wicked to get away with murder?
B. (:4-7) The Wicked Grow Increasingly Arrogant
1. Arrogant in Their Speech
a. Putting others down
b. Puffing themselves up
2. Arrogant in Their Opposition to God’s People
they don’t realize who they are messing with
3. Arrogant in Their Exploitation of the Helpless = the very ones God has
pledged to protect
4. Arrogant in Their Denial of Accountability = major mistake on their part
"The Lord does not see"
"Nor does the God of Jacob pay heed"
II. (:8-11) THE WICKED WILL NOT ESCAPE UNPUNISHED
A. (:8) False Security is a Sign of Stupidity
B. (:9) The Creation is Accountable to the Creator
"He who planted the ear"
"He who formed the eye"
C. (:10) The Nations are Accountable to the God of History
"He who chastens the nations"
D. (:11) Man Has No Enduring Substance Apart from the God of Eternity
"they are a mere breath"
III. (:12-16) THE RIGHTEOUS NEED TO SUBMIT TO THE LORD’S DISCIPLINE AND TAKE A STAND AGAINST EVILDOERS
A. (:12-15) Submit to the Lord’s Discipline
1. Discipline is a form of Blessing
"whom Thou dost chasten"
"And dost teach out of Thy law"
2. Relief in the midst of Oppression is Possible
"relief from the days of adversity"
3. God’s Precious Promises Provide Hope
a. Promise of God’s Presence
"the Lord will not abandon His people"
"Nor will He forsake His inheritance"
b. Promise of God’s Righteous Kingdom
"judgment will again be righteous and all the upright in heart will follow it"
B. (:16) Take a Stand Against Evildoers
IV. (:17-23) GOD IS A REFUGE TO THE RIGHTEOUS
BUT A DESTROYER OF THE DESPOTS
A. Refuge to the Righteous
1. the Lord is my Help -- saving me from death
2. the Lord’s Lovingkindness upholds me
3. the Lord replaces my Anxieties with Hope and Joy
4. the Lord has been my Stronghold = the rock of my refuge
B. Destroyer of the Despots
1. Their Throne of Destruction stands Opposed to God
2. Their Decrees of Violence stand Opposed to the Righteous and the Helpless
3. Their Wickedness and Evil will be Their Downfall = Destroyed by the God of Vengeance
* * * * * * * * * *
1) Evildoers boast about the crimes they commit and the suffering they inflict. Is it wrong to pray an imprecatory prayer against the wicked?
2) How would you answer someone who doubts God’s involvement and concern in one’s own life, and uses senseless tragedies as his justification?
3) Is there a difference between God’s punishment and His correction? Is it possible for the wicked to be happy and learn under God’s rebuke?
4) Can unjust leaders claim that God is on their side when their laws permit injustice?
Download the entire Psalms commentary in pdf format
(including notes on each psalm from other commentators)