Summary: “The LORD lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be God my Savior!”
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
Oct 19th, 2013
Intro: read/inscription/precedes/Psalm because it gives us some insight/background/verses.
• Inscription states/Psalm/originally/song/written/glorify/Lord
• honor Him/delivering David from King Saul
• From all his enemies.
• also be found in 2 Samuel 22
Psalm/written/all David’s foes lay vanquished/feet.
David/given absolute victory/wanted/express his gratitude to the Lord for His glorious provision.
You see, during the time David was running from Saul, he was in constant danger of death.
• He/delivered/all enemies/lifts his voice/praise/Lord God Who has given him the victory.
• This is David’s song of victory
• you and I have a victory song to sing as well.
• When God saved us, He gave us victory over our enemies
• 1 Cor. 15:57; 2 Cor. 4:17; Rom. 8:37.
Now, we who were hounded by Hell and in danger of dying without Jesus Christ have been eternally saved through His grace.
• Since/been saved/delivered/snare/enemy
• We also have ample reason to worship and praise the Lord.
• Isn’t enough time/consider/entire Psalm today.
• After all, it is the fourth largest in the Book of Psalms.
• Spend/few minutes/first three verses/preach/The God We Worship.
Spend our time/verses, let’s allow/Lord’s Word/remind us:
• Who He is/what He has done for us/what He can do for us.
• Remind us today why our God is The God We Worship.
“Worship”/Old English word means “worthship”.
“To ascribe worth to someone”.
• We worship God because He is worthy.
• Our worship ascribes worth to Him because of Who He is and What He does.
• Let me share a few reasons with you from these verses that teach is why our God is worthy of our worship.
I. v. 1 GOD IS WORTHY OF_OUR DELIGHT
• Very beginning/Psalmist/two great/profound declarations.
• He bears his heart/tells us what he/determined to do.
First, he declares his love for the Lord.
Second, he declares his absolute dependence upon the Lord.
He/indicating/will live his life/these two great themes ever before him.
• Telling us he finds his greatest delight in the Lord!
Let’s examine these two themes a little more closely and see what they mean for us tonight.
1. I will love the Lord.
• Translated "love" here is a word that means "to fondle."
• It carries the idea of hugging.
• If it doesn't sound too irreverent
• Psalmist is saying he is so filled with love for the Lord that he just wants to slide up real close to the Lord and hug him.
• We all felt this way about someone we love.
• How many have felt their heart fill up with love for a child
• a mate, or some other loved one
• You want to reach out and hug them and hold them?
This/emotion felt by Mary Magdalene when she encountered the risen Christ, John 20:17
• Disciples when they saw Him also, Matt. 28:9.
• Considering all the Lord has done for us
• how He loves us and has made a way for us to be saved
• Our hearts should be filled with same love for Him, 1 John 4:19.
I Will Lean On The Lord
• He calls God “My Strength” Nine times/first two verses,
• David uses the personal possessive pronoun “my”.
• “My” is the first pronoun learned by most children?
• Things like “my toys”, “my house”, “my room”,
• Their childish way/stating they know what is theirs.
What David/doing/expressing simple, childlike faith his relationship with the Lord.
• Telling us he/totally dependent upon/Lord/everything.
• Every ounce of his strength came from the Lord.
• Paul - 1 Cor. 15:10
• What we can do without Him - John 15:5
• what we can do with him, Phil. 4:13.
David’s plan is to live for the Lord, love the Lord and to lean on the Lord for everything he needs, does and is in life.
• I think/worthy goal for every believer!
• He deserves nothing less
• Nothing less will be blessed by the Lord.
II. v. 2 GOD IS WORTHY OF_OUR DEPENDENCE
David allows us to see a heart of worship engaged in the praise of the object of its love: God!
A. There Is Praise For A Personal God
• The usage of “my” again.
• most important thing/life/knowing you are right with God
• Above everything else you are saved by grace.
• It isn’t enough to be good or religious
• go to church or to stop doing some things that are wrong
• Join the church or to be baptized.
To be saved, there must be a time when you turn to Jesus Christ in absolute faith for salvation.
Nothing else will work for anyone ever, Acts 16:31
B. There is Praise For A Powerful God