Summary: Glorifying God is central to everything about everything. Scriptural evidence leads us to believe that the purpose of God’s Creation, His Choice of Israel, and the Church primarily exist to bring glory to His Name, that glorifying God is indeed the b
The God Who Created Us to Glorify Him
1. Luke and I returned from a simple vacation to Michigan.
2. Our family has gone on a few more exciting vacations: Disneyworld, Missouri, and Mammoth Cave come to mind; but most have been simple.
3. Others among you have hit the national parks.
4. As you drive through some of America’s National parks, you
are constantly reminded by numerous sings, "Don’t feed the bears!".
However, every year, more and more bears are seen wondering along the
roadside, or rummaging through the parking lots, looking for easy food.
Why do they do this? Because they have lost the purpose of their
existence. They were created to hunt for food in the depths of the forest,
not on the side of the road!
5. Mankind in general, and the church specifically, struggles with the purpose of its existence.
6. Part of the confusion within the church involves confusing the major categories with subcategories.
7. For example, is God’s holiness an extension of His goodness, or does His goodness flow from His holiness? Is worship part of edification, or is edification part of worship? Is our biggest purpose to evangelize and disciple, with a sub-category of glorifying God, or is glorifying God the big category with evangelism and discipleship providing one of several means to do so? Are worshipping God and glorifying God the same thing, or is one a sub-category of the other?
8. I happen to agree with the missionary in this story:
Young man going to China. A skeptic said to him, ¡¥I
suppose your going to China to convert the hearten!’ To which the young
missionary responded, No! I’m going to China for the glory of God!’
9. In my studies, I have concluded that the broadest category as to why creation exists and what the church is about is glorifying God. I see everything else, reaching, connecting, deepening, evangelism, wholesome culture, obedience, spiritual maturity, spiritual gifts, good works, thankful eating, worship, salting the earth as simply means to do so.
10. This is not as easy to prove as one might think, which is why many people quote the Westminster Confession rather than Scripture.
MAIN IDEA: Glorifying God is central to everything about everything.
TS----- Today, I will try to offer Scriptural evidence that leads us to believe that the purpose of God’s Creation, His Choice of Israel, and the Church primarily exist to bring glory to His Name, that glorifying God is indeed the big, overall category under which all the pieces of the puzzle are given meaning. Then I will show how Glorifying the Name of God is the foundation of prayer and the plan of salvation.
I. All Exists To Glorify God
Romans 5:2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.
1. God is not "co-dependent" (He does not have an empty love tank)
2. Glorifying God means acknowledging and in some way displaying His splendor.
3. Psalm 19 begins with creation in general and then focuses in upon us as individuals.(turn there)