Summary: A look at how the Good Shepherd (JESUS) cares for His Sheep (US).
The Good Shepherd & His Sheep
The Bible has many images – expressing various relationships – but none is more expressive and more descriptive than that of the shepherd and sheep.
"I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. 2 The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep. 3 The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4 When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. 5 But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger’s voice." 6 Jesus used this figure of speech, but they did not understand what he was telling them. John 10:1-6 NIV
I. The Good Shepherd CALLS His Sheep. (V. 3)
One becomes a Christian as He is called and he hears the voice of him that calls.
A. The Spirit calls him.
1. The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let him who hears say, "Come!" Revelation 22:17
B. God’s word calls him.
1. Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ. Romans 10:17
C. God’s ministers call him.
1. How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? Romans 10:14
II. The Good Shepherd LEADS His Sheep. (V. 4)
He leads them to:
1. Romans 6:23; “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
1. 1 Peter 2:9; “But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.”
1. John 15:13; “Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.”
III. The Good Shepherd FEEDS His Sheep (V. 9)
A. Notice the kind of food He feeds.
1. Spiritual Food.
a. Matthew 4:4; Jesus answered, "It is written: `Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’ "
2. The Word of God
a. 1 Peter 2:2; “Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, 3 now that you have tasted that the Lord is good.”
B. Notice where He fees them.
1. In the presence of their enemies.
a. Psalms 23:5; “You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.”
IV. The Good Shepherd DIED for His Sheep. (V. 11)
1. The Unrighteous.
a. 1 Peter 3:18, “For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous,”
1. To Reconcile.
a. Romans 5:10, “For if, when we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!”
2. To Deliver.
a. Galatians 1:4, “who gave himself for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father.”
V. The Good Shepherd KNOWS His Sheep. (V. 14)
A. What He Knows About Them?
1. Where They Are.
a. John 1:47-48, “When Jesus saw Nathanael approaching, he said of him, "Here is a true Israelite, in whom there is nothing false." "How do you know me?" Nathanael asked. Jesus answered, "I saw you while you were still under the fig tree before Philip called you."
2. What Is In Them?
a. John 2:25, “But Jesus would not entrust himself to them, for he knew all men. He did not need man’s testimony about man, for he knew what was in a man.”
3. What They Will Do.
a. Matthew 26:34, "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "this very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times."
VI. The Good Shepherd’s VOICE IS HEARD By His Sheep. (V. 16)
A. What He Tells Them?
1. His Commission.
a. Matthew 28:18-20, “Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."