Summary: What was the message Paul preached and why was it so effective?
RO 1:1 Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle and set apart for the gospel of God-- 2 the gospel he promised beforehand through his prophets in the Holy Scriptures 3 regarding his Son, who as to his human nature was a descendant of David, 4 and who through the Spirit of holiness was declared with power to be the Son of God by his resurrection from the dead: Jesus Christ our Lord. 5 Through him and for his name’s sake, we received grace and apostleship to call people from among all the Gentiles to the obedience that comes from faith. 6 And you also are among those who are called to belong to Jesus Christ. 7 To all in Rome who are loved by God and called to be saints: Grace and peace to you from God our Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ. 8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is being reported all over the world. 9 God, whom I serve with my whole heart in preaching the gospel of his Son, is my witness how constantly I remember you 10 in my prayers at all times; and I pray that now at last by God’s will the way may be opened for me to come to you. 11 I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong-- 12 that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith. 13 I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that I planned many times to come to you (but have been prevented from doing so until now) in order that I might have a harvest among you, just as I have had among the other Gentiles. 14 I am obligated both to Greeks and non-Greeks, both to the wise and the foolish. 15 That is why I am so eager to preach the gospel also to you who are at Rome. 16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 17 For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: "The righteous will live by faith."
A. The People and the Gospel—vv 1-7
1. The Servant v1 Paul was called to be an Apostle for preaching of the gospel (Acts 9:1-6)
2. The Scriptures v2 God promised the gospel even in the O.T.
3. The Son 3-6 (Incarnation, Infallible, Impact)
4. The saints v7 To all the saints at Rome. We are all called to be saints It is the call of God. This letter, though addressed to Rome, is for all who call themselves, saved of God
B. The Preaching of the Gospel—vv8-15
1. It is pleasing to preach the gospel. It is a joy to bring hope to people. It is a joy to share the faith of saints with others.
2. Prayer vv9-10 Paul prayed for their needs and we pray for each other. Paul’s prayer is to have the opportunity to visit them. Jesus prayed in the garden for all of us, and that one day we will all be together.
3. Plea---vv11-12 the imparting of spiritual gifts is to bring a spiritual blessing. It is mutual edification of the saints. (Hebrews 10:25) 25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
Then we are ready to help preach the gospel. We preach it because there is POWER in the Gospel. It has the power to transform everyone it comes in contact with. HEB 4:12 For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
It changes minds, it changes attitudes, it changes thinking, it changes hearts, if we let it do its work. It is for all who believe. Because in it we find HOPE, LOVE, and FORGIVENESS.
After we experience the power of the gospel, we should want to share it. Evangelism is “one sinner showing another sinner where to find forgiveness, mercy and grace.” We are commanded to go into all the world, if we hide it we are lost. Some might take it as being ashamed, some might just be shy. Then do what we can, invite, greet and make welcomed the visitors. Maybe write them a card, all the things that say, we are glad you were here today. That is sharing the gospel. Paul was definitely not ashamed, and he surrounded himself with partners, some who worked to support financially, those who were prayer partners. All of us are on a team, called SAINTS.