Summary: exposition on Matt ch8
THE MISSION THAT NEVER WAS
1. The disciples deliverance from the storm v. 23 - 27 Note:-
(a) Their dedication v. 23 "His disciples followed Him" - there was cost involved v.22
(b) Their danger v. 24 note it was sudden "behold", severe, " a great tempest" i.e.like an earthquake, and very serious - "we perish."
(c) Their dread v. 25 "Lord, save us, we perish"
The reason for their fear -( the storm),the reality of their fear "Lord, save us", the rationality of their fear "we perish", the result of their fear, see their discovery.
(d) They discovered:-
(1) Satanic power - the timing of it (at sea), target of it (disciples), terror of it.
(2) The Saviour’s power v. 27 "what manner of man is this", who can bring peace in the midst of the storm.
(3) The Sinner’s powerlessness v. 25 "Lord save us, we perish"
D.L. Moody said, "when a man really wants the Saviour, he does not need anyone to teach him how to pray"
2. The demoniac’s deliverance from their sin v. 28 - 32. Note:-
(a) The reality of Demon possession v. 28 "two possessed with devils."
These demons were:-
(3) powerful v. 28 two grown men in complete bondage
(5) not angels nor human (can possess men and be dispossessed)
(6) individuals (Mary had 7 devils.)
(7) they have knowledge v. 29 (recognised Jesus)
(9) feelings v. 29 "torment us"
(b) The rage of Demon provocation v. 28 "These demons were exceeding fierce".
As a result the men could not be:-
(2) chained - they had broken their fetters often
(c) The reach of Demon perception v. 29 "what have we to do with thee Jesus, thou son of God?" They knew
(1) who he was i.e. Jesus
(2) what he was "son of God"
(3) and why he was "art thou come to torment us", "he came to destroy the works of the devil" - their time was up.
(d) The result of Demon persuasion v. 31 "so the devils besought him .......suffer us to go into the herd of swine" and He said "go"
Mark ch 5 tells us about 6,000 demons - legion "we are many" and possibly 2,000 swine
3. The Saviour’s deliverance from their selfishness v. 33 & 34 -
v. 34 " they besought him that he would depart out of their coasts." Here was :-
(a) universal rejection "the whole city besought him"
(c) unreasonable rejection v. 34 " and when they saw him" - minds already made up.