Summary: The difference the Gospel makes in our lives
The Gospel of God
• This morning: Paul’s definition of himself
1) Man who knew his MASTER
2) Man who knew his MISSION
3) Man who knew his MESSAGE
25 years before the Book of Romans was written by Paul a man named Saul was walking along a road to Damascus. A bright light shone and he was stopped. ‘Who art Thou Lord that I might serve Thee’. 25 years later Paul introduces himself as a ‘bond-servant of Christ Jesus’.
1) No longer Saul(term of derision in Greek) but Paul ‘small one’.
2) Resting under Jesus as his supreme Master in life.
• Three Distinctions of the Gospel of God
(First six verses are one long sentence)
THE GOSPEL IS DISTINCT IN PROPHECY the Gospel of God (2) which he promised beforehand through His prophets in the holy Scriptures.
1. The gospel was not a new thing. Promised before. Jesus Christ is the subject of the Bible from Genesis to Revelation.
a. Promised after first sin was committed(seed of the woman)
b. 330 prophecies fulfilled by Christ’s first coming.
2) Two walking to Emmaus ‘are the only one who doesn’t know what has happened in these last few days?’ He explained how all they had seen had been foretold.
3) Pharisees ‘you search the Scriptures because in them you think you will find life but they speak of Me’.
THE GOSPEL IS DISTINCT IN A PERSON (3) concerning His Son, Who was born of a descendant of David according to the flesh, (4) Who was declared the Son of God with power by the resurrection of the dead, according to the Spirit of holiness, Jesus Christ our Lord.
1. CONCERNING HIS SON – Peri – periscope, perimeter, that which surrounds, revolves around, encircles, that which boundries a person. The Gospel revolves around the person of Jesus Christ.
Man who dearly loved his son who died suddenly. Broken hearted man died soon after. He was a very rich man who owned man art treasures. His will was to be read on a certain day and to be begun by auctioning his art treasures.
Began with simple painting of beloved son. No one knew the son nor was the artist of any note. No one bid, after a long time a servant who loved the family and especially the son finally bid $1. After the painting was sold the executor read the next step. ‘Whoever loved my son long enough and strong enough to buy his portrait shall all the rest of what I own’.
2. HIS INCARNATION: Fully God yet fully man. Born of a descendant of David according to the flesh
a. Descendant of David. Both Matthew and Luke establish this fact. One thru Joseph and the other thru Mary which Y’s at David.
b. Declared(made evident) God’s Son. Proven by two proofs
1) The Resurrection
2) His Sinless Life
THE GOSPEL IS DISTINCT IN IT’S PURPOSE (5) Through Whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith among all the Gentiles for His Name’s sake. (6) Among Whom you alo are the called of Jesus Christ. (7) To all who are beloved of God in Rome, called as saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ