Summary: We were founded as a GOSPEL church in 1815, and -- praise God! -- we still are. But how can we best know, understand and share the Gospel? Here’s how...
The records of Colosse Baptist Church show that on Aug. 22 and 23
Colosse will turn 189 years old -- Begin our 190th year as a church
But the records also show it almost would not have been
From our 150th Anniversary Booklet, Chap. 1, "Organization of the Colosse Church"
"On Sunday, June 15, 1806, a number of brethren met at the home of Amos Williams, and after Divine Worship conducted by Elder Gamaliel Barnes, the forming of a church was discussed. On Jan. 7, 1807, it was decided to call for a council to recognize the body as a church, but being disappointed in getting a council, it was decided simply to hold regular services."
> May I interject -- What kind of faith did they have to call for a council in JANUARY???
"After several years and many difficult trials, most were in favor of disbanding. However, there was a small group of zealous brethren that refused to give up the world of the Lord. Through the efforts of this group, a Council was called in..." Aug., 1815
- Consisted of brethren of Baptist churches in Henderson, Ellisburg, Lorraine and Rodman
- They met in the Parish Schoolhouse to look into the circumstances of the group
- To hear an account of their meetings and their objectives
- And to see if, in the opinion and judgement of the Pastors thus assembled
- If they were in fact a GOSPEL church
- And to be given the right hand of fellowship
Well, we don’t just know the rest of the story = WE ARE THE REST OF THE STORY
- Revelation 14:13 And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed [are] the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.
- I imagine that those zealous brethren so stedfast in their faith in what the Lord could do
- Must rejoice to know we continue
- And still believe in the Book, the Blood, and the Blessed Hope
- And that we are still a Gospel church
And that brings me to our Sermon today
- Seems fitting to me, on this 52nd Sunday of our 189th year of existence as a Gospel Church
- To bring a message on the Gospel
"Gospel" = 98-x in NT = [amtract] Signifies "good news"
- The revelation God has made known to sinful mankind through Jesus Christ
- He is the Saviour and Redeemer of mankind = Lord of all
- Scripture = Matt. 24.14, "gospel of the kingdom" = Acts 20.24, "gospel of Christ" =
Rom. 1.16 + 10.15, "gospel of peace" = 1 Tim. 1.11, "glorious gospel" = Rev. 14.6, "everlasting gospel"
> And in the words of the beautiful hymn, "The Love of God" [# 188 v. 3]
"Could we with ink the o-cean fill, And were the skies of parchment made,
Were ev-`ry stalk on earth a quill, And ev-`ry man a scribe by trade;
To write the love of God a-bove Would drain the o-cean dry;
Nor could the scroll con-tain the whole, Tho’ stretched from sky to sky.
CH: Oh love of God, how rich and pure! How meas-ure-less and strong!
It shall for-ev-er-more en-dure, The saints’ and an-gels’ song."
- Really and truly, the noblest words we could ever hope to speak would fall far short of satisfactorily describing what God has done when we use the word "GOSPEL"