Summary: A Salvation Message contrasting Adam’s sin and Jesus’s redemption from sin for us.
“The Great Contrast”
Adam & Jesus
(powerpoint title page)
As we turn to Romans 5:12-21 lets stand in Gods presence as I read Gods Word.
At the heart of Paul’s letter to the Romans is this section of scripture.
In fact – this passage is the heart of Christianity. I call it “The Great Contrast” because the Bible is teaching us the foundational truths of:
· Why there is death in the world
· Why the world is in the condition it is in and getting worse.
· Why Christianity is so narrow to say that Jesus Christ is the only way to have peace with God and be assured of eternal life verses eternal death.
Here the Bible makes its claims of Original Sin – That all mankind is under sin and completely depraved without God.
Here also though is the message of what God has done about mankind’s condition and what he offers to each of us today.
· Today, many ask the question…If God is so good why doesn’t he do something about the condition of this world?
· It is here in this passage that I can confidently proclaim – He already has! It’s your decision whether or not to accept what He has already done.
The reason why the message of what God has already provided is often rejected by mankind is simple…
· When a man or woman is told that the Bible teaches that man is by nature a sinful being separated from a Holy God. This statement forces he or she to acknowledge their own sinfulness and need for a Savior.
· Many will not acknowledge that simple truth that God has declared and so, in their pride, reject Gods answer to man’s sin problem.
So – what is Gods answer for the condition of the world today? What is Gods invitation to all mankind that will:
· End world hunger
· Eliminate war and violence
· And destroy death itself?
The answer is found here – in the contrast between the first man Adam and Jesus Christ the Son of God.
(powerpoint click slide 2)
I. How we got into the mess we are now in!
(PowerPoint click Slide 3)
“When Adam sinned, sin entered the entire human race. Adam’s sin brought death, so death spread to everyone, for everyone sinned.”
A. Skeptics sometimes ask, “Was it fair for God to condemn the whole world just because of one man’s disobedience
· The answer is: It was not only fair but it was Wise and Gracious!
· To begin with, if God has tested each human being individually, the result would have been the same for all of us – disobedience.
· But – when God condemned the human race through one man (Adam) God was then able to save the human race through one Man (Jesus)
B.The Skeptic today may then ask…..
“Well, are we really united to Adam back at the beginning of time?”
· The answer again is yes.
· When Adam chose to sin against God – death, sickness and suffering entered the world. God did not originally create the world in this way.
· Adam did not have to commit a “series of sins”. In One Act God tested Adam to give all mankind a choice – and Adam failed!
· God told Adam how far he could go, and Adam decided to go beyond the appointed limit.
Power Point Click Slide 4
“ But the Lord gave him this warning: You may freely eat any fruit in the garden except fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. If you eat of its fruit, you will surely die.”
C. When Adam sinned death was introduced. Physical Death and even more severe – Spiritual Death.
D. From this point on in the Biblical record we read that Adam and all his descendents died.
· And so we are linked with Adams sin because we too all must die physically one day.
· That’s one of the dear prices of rebellion against God.
This is why the Bible tells us a universal truth in Romans 3:23
(PowerPoint slide 5)
For all have sinned; all fall short of God’s glorious standard
(second click for image)
And again in Romans 6:23
(PowerPoint slide 6)
For the wages of sin is death
(second click for image)
(PowerPoint Slide 7 – the next point)
II. How Does Adams Sin Affect Us?
(click) Adams Sin was Disobedience
(click) Sin Entered the Human Race
New Slide-8 click
(click) Man was cut off from God
(click) A Great Gulf Separates Man from God’s Fellowship.
New Slide 9- Three clicks
New Slide 10-(click)
Adams Sin brought Gods Judgment of Sin (Spiritual Death and Separation from God)