Summary: Song so beautifully depicts all that was involved in receiving the greatest gift of all time. For centuries now gifts and giving have become synonymous with Christmas. Our family discovered a change (Travis). Kid’s tear open, “You never hear kids say,
Song so beautifully depicts all that was involved in receiving the greatest gift of all time.
For centuries now gifts and giving have become synonymous with Christmas. Our family discovered a change (Travis). Kid’s tear open, “You never hear kids say, O no, you shouldn’t have. And yet the great gift of Christmas seems to catch everyone off guard. Imagine Mary…TRANSCENDED ANY EXPECTATIONS…Most gifts are wonderful and welcomed, but once in a while someone is able to look… “Not what I expected, but just what I wanted.” That’s what we find in the great gift of Christmas. I don’t know what you might be getting for Christmas but nothing will compare to what God has given. Isaiah 9:2,6-7
(David didn’t have time to forward scripture verses, I can do it later or you have the verses on your computer?”
First thing, God’s gift is:
1. God’s gift is MORE PERSONAL THAN EVER IMAGINED. We all want personal gifts…ones that show they really involved the giver. “Unto us a child is born…a son is given.”
Here is one of may birth announcements from God. Many had known this one…yet missed. In fact, in the coming of Christ 100’s of prophecies…detailed announcements. In part because they saw them as mountain peaks. Suffering Servant, Reigning/Restoring King
Suffering servant was that which has proved hardest to apprehend. NO ONE EXPECTED GOD TO BE SO VULNERABLE, yet that is just what God has done…(Hebrews 1:1-3) A mystery that never ceases to still our souls…in both surprise…and satisfaction. When lofty and lowly met when the eternal entered the earthly; when heaven entered humanity, and destroyed the powers that divide us forever. God coming to humanity…coming as a child…TRAVIS…God placed his life in Mary’s hands…and so with us. John 3:16…but theirs more for the with us. John 3:16…but theirs more for the first born son in the culture of the time represents the entire inheritance.
Ill. True story of man who lost a son he had cherished. Upon his own death…(poor man bought the painting with it the inheritance.) SO ALL THAT GOD HAS IS BEING GIVEN TO YOU! Heb. 1:2; John 3:16…not only the most personal gift…but
2. GREAT GIFT OF CHRISTMAS IS MORE POWERFUL than ever imagined. We all long at this time of year to know that the world could have a brighter future…
“David’s throne” and “the government will rest on his shoulders.” “Prince of Peace.”
Many were expecting a great King from God…but few understood the real power struggle at hand was not simply political but spiritual. THE GREAT NEED OF HUMANITY IS NOT SOLVED BY WHO’S RULING OVER PEOPLE, BUT WHAT’S RULING WITHIN PEOPLE. GOD CAME TO DEFEAT FAR MORE THAN A PARTICULAR GOVERNMENT, BUT THE POWER OF EVIL ITSELF.
And indeed wherever this child, who was born to restore the reign of God in human hearts, has truly been made King; LIVES have been transformed, FAMILIES restored, NATIONS have changed forever. This one child has dealt more blows to evil than we can imagine. In him is the power for the peace we long for. Illus-Father…daughter…picture of world torn up
MARY, a king in her hands…
2. Great gift of Christmas is more permanent than ever imagined. We all want gifts that will last. “of his government there will be no end.” MANY GIFTS MAY NOT LAST, BUT GOD IS AFTER OUR FUTURE. Illus: Peg…shared a picture, turned it over “Dear Peg, thanks for giving us a life with a future.” Love Devin.
3. THAT’S WHAT GOD HAS GIVEN YOU AND ME IN HIS GIFT…A LIFE WITH A FUTURE. Cockburn…”It’s the Christmas gift, you don’t have to buy, it’s the future shining in a baby’s eyes.”
4. The Great Gift of Christmas is MORE PASSIONATE THAN EVER IMAGINED. when it comes to gifts, we’ve all known that it’s the heart of the giver that matters most.
…More than the gift…its how much they care that satisfies on the deepest level. Note last verse “THE ZEAL OF THE LORD WILL ACCOMPLISH THIS.” Illus-Teacher to children on a simple village island. shell…”other side of island!” “Long walk part of gift GOD…ALL THESE LENGTHS BECAUSE HE’S PASSIONATE FOR YOU.